join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to kfsutops

Re: Of Course Boxes will Still Be Around

said by kfsutops:

The cable companies will never get rid of the boxes. I pay close to $20 per month for an HD DVR. Why would the get rid of that revenue stream?
Revenue stream? ha.

kfsutops
Premium
join:2002-08-19
Tampa, FL
So you are saying that these charges are not an important revenue stream?

Come on you know better than that...

As for the it basically being a break even product as someone suggest. Really? Do you really believe that too? I am sure that Brighthouse is not making any money on the DVR box that my parents have had for over four years now.
--
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots"

Rob
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by kfsutops:

So you are saying that these charges are not an important revenue stream?

Come on you know better than that...

As for the it basically being a break even product as someone suggest. Really? Do you really believe that too? I am sure that Brighthouse is not making any money on the DVR box that my parents have had for over four years now.
They are not an important revenue stream. They end costing the company more money than anything.

I see the records myself - the cost to the MSO and the overhead. It's not a pretty sight.

kfsutops
Premium
Tampa, FL
Come on now. You know better than to spout that out.

I pay for rental. Then I pay a month charge for DVR service? What is that service for? For Tivo's and Realplay TV it was/is for the downloading/updating of the guide.

Now. Why should I have to pay for the same guide on a DVR box but not on a non DVR box? This is the one thing Tivo has had a positive impact on, people paying for a stupid guide that they already received for free.
--

Rob
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by kfsutops:

Come on now. You know better than to spout that out.

I pay for rental. Then I pay a month charge for DVR service? What is that service for? For Tivo's and Realplay TV it was/is for the downloading/updating of the guide.

Now. Why should I have to pay for the same guide on a DVR box but not on a non DVR box? This is the one thing Tivo has had a positive impact on, people paying for a stupid guide that they already received for free.
You're obviously misunderstanding me. I'm not saying what they are doing is right, all I am saying is that the boxes are NOT revenue streams for them. If they break even, that's a good day.

There is so much cost added for these boxes, from the purchase price, to paying techs, agents, and not to mention the boxes that end up on ebay. The overhead for those boxes are atrocious.

The sad part is when they stop using boxes, because cable cards or a newer technology allows for delivery of digital service without the need for the box, then they will have a revenue stream - and we can all expect they will not lower our bills.

kfsutops
Premium
Tampa, FL
said by Rob:

The sad part is when they stop using boxes, because cable cards or a newer technology allows for delivery of digital service without the need for the box, then they will have a revenue stream - and we can all expect they will not lower our bills.
Of course they will not lower bills.
--

Rob
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by kfsutops:

said by Rob:

Of course they will not lower bills.
At least we agree on something!