iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to sortofageek

Re: Poll....With the new tiers which will you subscribe to?

Why not get FiOS then?

As for me, I'd probably do a bit of a crossgrade, from my current 8/2 service to 12/2 business. I'd get a bit of a download speed boost, uploads would be faster on PwoerBoost due to DOCSIS 2 rollout, I could keep my current modem, and no cap. Plus it's $59 if I'm reading correctly, with no TV service required.

If I don't do that I'll probably get 22/5 residential, assuming they raise caps for that tier. Then again, looks like it'll take for-freaking-ever to get D3 up here, due to lack of competition.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:24
said by iansltx:

Why not get FiOS then?
I have no compelling reason to do that currently. I am waiting until all three services are available as a Triple Play bundle for both companies. At that point I'll evaluate pros and cons between them. Rumor is 4th Quarter for DOCSIS 3.0 here and, I think, there is a similar plan for Verizon FiOS TV rollout in this general area.

said by iansltx:

As for me, I'd probably do a bit of a crossgrade, from my current 8/2 service to 12/2 business. .... Plus it's $59 if I'm reading correctly, with no TV service required.
Where are you reading $59 with no TV service required and no cap for business 12/2? If that is advertised, I would think this forum would be lit up with excitement. If it has been posted here, I have totally missed it.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
I'm unsure of the regular pricing for the 'net-only business tier, but whatever it is, it's gonna get a 12/2 upgrade. I seem to remember it back in the D3 thread.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

said by iansltx:

Why not get FiOS then?
I have no compelling reason to do that currently. I am waiting until all three services are available as a Triple Play bundle for both companies. At that point I'll evaluate pros and cons between them. Rumor is 4th Quarter for DOCSIS 3.0 here and, I think, there is a similar plan for Verizon FiOS TV rollout in this general area.

A bit off the OP's topic, but a note to sortofageek See Profile (who lives not so very far away) that I received a fios flyer in with the grocery store ads this week, promoting "triple-play" for $99.99. So broader rollout of TV is coming fast.
A little strange is the fact that very little (maybe 20-30% at most, probably much less) of the area this fairly tightly targeted ad packet covers is actually fios offered/available yet. (though this gives me hope they may be restarting the twice delayed/partially completed work in the area)
I do agree that until verizon can offer a 1-wire replacement, it's probably not worth switching (comcast service is generally very good in this area) It's really more a matter of the bundle/ pricing than one service being better than the other, unless you have specific needs that one can't offer/fulfill.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

2 edits
reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

Where are you reading $59 with no TV service required and no cap for business 12/2? If that is advertised, I would think this forum would be lit up with excitement. If it has been posted here, I have totally missed it.
This has been discussed several times on the board before. CCMike from Comcast business has indicated the Business Starter package, which costs $60 per month, and is currently 6/1 but will migrate to 12/2 has no caps.

You can read him saying so here - »Re: [Business] How much is Comcast starter business HSI and a ph

Anyone who wants to avoid Comcast caps, can pay $15 or so more per month and get Comcast starter business. It may also avoid throttling.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:24

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

... a note to sortofageek See Profile (who lives not so very far away) that I received a fios flyer in with the grocery store ads this week, promoting "triple-play" for $99.99.
A dig through the recycle bin is in order, it seems.

Actually, I just checked the Verizon site a couple of days ago and received a "not yet."

It is strange the fliers are going to an area where FiOS is not yet offered. We can get all but the TV service here and I haven't noticed triple play ads yet.

As you know it is a big decision jumping from a service which is working very well to an unknown. I am also keeping my ear to the ground in the neighborhood. I love it when others go first.