rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

1 edit

rv65

Premium Member

[TWC] San Diego/Desert Cities/Barstow Time Warner Cable Topi

Basically I have posted about San Diego in the SoCal Thread but San Diego is it's own market. This thread is about new HD channels in San Diego. That includes the ex Adelphia North County area. In non Ex adelphia areas up to 15 new HD channels but it may be like 10 of them. Some of them include Food Network HD, KUSI HD, and HGTV HD. San Diego is a unified cisco network except for the Ex Adelphia which is moto.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

Re: [TWC] New HD channels for San Diego

The line up is probably very predictable. I'm sure I could easily guess the lineup. The channel assignments may vary. Most of the stuff is probably similar to what SoCal gets but maybe a little bit different. Food HD, HGTV HD, and KUSI HD are the only confirmed.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

Food HD (751) and HGTV HD (753) will be added on October 29th.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

They are now officially in the guide. They have been in the guide since the early morning hours.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to rv65

Premium Member

to rv65
Can you post a complete list of the new channels San Diego gets?

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

1 edit

rv65

Premium Member

600: HBO HD
610: Cinemax HD
640: Showtime HD
669: Starz HD
700: HBO HD
701: Cinemax HD
702: Showtime HD
703: Starz HD
704: 4SD HD
705: KSWB HD (Fox but listed in the IPG as Fox5HD) (KSWB-DT)
706: XETV HD (CW) (XETV-DT)
707: KNSD HD (NBC) (KNSD-DT)
708: KFMB HD (CBS) (KFMB-DT)
710: KGTV HD (ABC) (KGTV-DT)
711: KPBS HD (PBS) (KPBS-DT)
712: TBS HD
713: NBA TV HD
718: NatGeo HD
721: HDNet (HD-VIP)
722: HDNet Movies (HD-VIP)
723: Mojo (HD-VIP)
724: Universal HD (HD-VIP)
725: HD VOD
726: CNN HD
727: TNT HD
729: ESPN HD
730: ESPN2 HD
731: FSN HD
736: Palladia (Guide lists it as MHD)
743: Discovery HD
744: HD Theatre
745: A&E HD
751: Food Network HD
753: HGTV HD
755: TLC HD
756: History HD
761: LMN HD
763: Disney HD
764: Animal Planet HD
767: VS/Golf HD
780: Science Channel HD
799: HD PPV

A fairly nice lineup. 4SD mainly shows Padres baseball games and is exclusive to cable. It's sent via Fiber so it's covered under the terrestrial loophole. Also TWC San Diego that's not the ex Adelphia areas use Cisco so they use 725 as the HD VOD channel. The ex adelphia lineup is the same except no 725. CH. 1 is the VOD channel. TWC also uses navigator. 8 to 13 more HD channels are going to be added. 1 is a local indie station aka KUSI. CH. 13 is our MNTV down the way in Tecate, Mexico. Entravision and Televisora Alco don't have any future plans to add a digital signal but they probably should. Maybe Entravision is using it so they don't have to spend the money to transition to digital. Also XETV is also Mexican licensed but carries no Spanish programming. So San Diego relies on a few Mexican stations to carry the locals. Hope this helps.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

It looks like San Diego is getting Start Over coming soon. We don't know how long coming soon is but more HD channels will be rolling in soon I hope. May debut when those new channels are deployed. I'm sure the employees are testing it to ensure quality. Some areas without navigator have it but those areas use SARA. Start Over isn't new. Some areas have had it for a while. TWC San Diego probably updated their VOD servers that support this new feature. I assume it will be on limited channels. Still have plans to add 8 to 13 more HD channels.

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

1 edit

Flashfox

I am in the former Adelphia area (Carlsbad) and we are using Motorola HD DVRs. With this in mind, please explain (or point me to to a link) what is "Start Over"?

Also, any idea if this will be available in areas which support the Motorola boxes (VOD for us is on channel 1)?

As an FYI, we still do not have Navigator or "Caller ID on the screen" as they are not supported by the Motorola boxes.

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14
SoCal

MacLeech

Premium Member

said by Flashfox:

With this in mind, please explain (or point me to to a link) what is "Start Over"?
»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· ult.html

Flashfox
Carlsbad, CA

2 edits

Flashfox

Thanks for the link. It's not available in 92008 so there is no mention of this on their local site. Seems like I will need Navigator... which means that TWC will need to change the HD DVRs from Motorola to SA (or whatever version is compatible).
In any event, we have no idea as to when such a transition will occur here in Carlsbad... former Adelphia territory ;-(

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14
SoCal

MacLeech

Premium Member

Navigator comes in an OCAP version and the newer Moto boxes may be able to run it.... not quite sure though. I've not had to directly work with or support Navigator yet...

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

1 edit

rv65 to Flashfox

Premium Member

to Flashfox
Start Over will probably need the new Samsung OCAP boxes. I hear the 8300HDC's with ODN work with motorola. The Ex Adelphia will probably upgrade to OCAP which can allow universal cable devices. SA 8300HDC also works with Motorola networks but they need moto cablecards. OCAP/tru2way will allow TWC to deploy universal cable boxes provided the headend is tru2way/OCAP. TWC had plans to port navigator to Moto but that plan backfired. This feature is probably for Cisco areas of San Diego down further south.

Edit: MacLeech pretty much ate my words.
rv65

rv65 to MacLeech

Premium Member

to MacLeech
TWC San Diego is testing the new Samsung HD-DVR's. They have some cool new features. It will support OCAP and will have a widescreen IPG. The specs are quite nice. It doesn't have a 1 GHz tuner but it does support MoCA. It has a broadcom chipset and it seems to be a good replacement to the SA/Motorola boxes.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

Well MyTV 13 does have plans to broadcast digitally out of Cerro Bola in Tecate, BCN, Mexico. That means NBA TV HD will have to move it's channel to a different number since that will likely be the spot for XHDTV-DT. XHDTV-DT will start broadcasting digitally in 2009. It will be in 720p since thats what MNTV uses. With all the HD shows on MNTV then it seems logical to add it. MNTV is analog for now but it will happen. The killer app for this channel is Smackdown but MNTV has other stuff in HD like their sitcoms and their movies.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

An SD channel was added. TV Japan. 24 hours of Japanese programming in SD. All for a cool $25 a month. It's probably an SDV channel since not too many people will spend that much money on that one channel.
rv65

1 edit

rv65

Premium Member

Another HD channel is coming soon. Big 10 network HD and the SD version will come out. You will need the $5 sports pack in order to watch it.

Edit: Looks like Hallmark Movie channel is also going to be added. Both HD and SD. Lets hope TWC San Diego adds some better channels.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

The new ODN version mentions 441 MHz (CH. 60) and 465 MHz (Ch. 64) being an SDV frequency. I guess TWC San Diego is in the process of removing the expanded basic tier to digital. One tech rumored by february the expanded basic tier would become a digital tier. Going all digital will allow for more HD channels. CH. 60 is Hallmark Channel and CH. 64 is Animal Planet HD. On 12/1 Mojo HD in the HD VIP pack will probably be replaced with MGM HD like the other TWC divisions have been doing. On 12.8 Golf/VS HD will become separate channels. A couple of more HD channels will be added including KUSI.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

Mojo (723) is TBA on 12.1 starting at 9 AM. Maybe MGM HD will be added like the other divisions. Or some wasteful signoff message. MGM HD is more likely. Even if it's a message saying it's signed off then it will likely be temporary.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

Mojo HD has been replaced with MGM HD and the guide data has been updated.

Flashfox
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox

Yep... it's there. However, it is no longer "free". The message says that I need to subscribe to MGM HD. Another "lost" channel. Pitty!

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

You have to subscribe to the VIP pack in order to get MGM HD and Mojo. Even I got Mojo for free for a while. I actually have the VIP pack and I do get it just fine.

Flashfox
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox

I am subscribed to the VIP pack... that's why I am a bit confused. So... I posted a question to TWC and I will share the response when I receive it.

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

A nice legal notice. This basically reveals their HD channel plans.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· esd.html

I'm sure Vs/Golf HD will air on Dec. 8th. They can add another HD channel number. Some of the channels have already been added and more will be added later.
rv65

rv65 to Flashfox

Premium Member

to Flashfox
Rebooting the box might help. I'm in the cisco area of TWC not the Moto area. Cisco/SA area is the non ex Adelphia area. SA divisions get the Navigator IPG and use different boxes.

Flashfox
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox

Tried it and it did not work... but I will try again.

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

Calling them might work. I think it could be some problem with their network, box or something like that.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

More HD channels for San Diego

719: Bio HD which is down with a subscriber notice
735: ABC Family HD
741: VS HD which is down
752: FX HD
767: Golf HD which is also down
781: HMC HD
793: Speed HD

Desert Cities is also operated by Time Warner Cable San Diego. Some channels aren't going to be on the ex adelphia area for some unknown reason. Desert Cities got E! HD, USA HD, and CNBC HD. TWC San Diego should get Golf HD, Bio HD, and VS HD up sometime soon or next year. They haven't added E! HD, CNBC HD, KUSI HD, and SciFi HD but they're working on that.
rv65

rv65

Premium Member

The ex adelphia areas aren't going to be getting some of these channels. The SA area will get all of them and then some.

Flashfox
Carlsbad, CA

2 edits

Flashfox

So what you are saying is that I might not get those new channels here in Carlsbad (92008), which is an ex-Adelphia area. You also state that SA area might get more. Am I to read that the ex-Adelphia areas like mine are technology limited (eg. not able to add the capacity)?

Question: We are still using Motorola HD-DVR and Digital cable converters. Are there any plans to change to SA? Mind you, what we have works fine. However, featutes like On-Screen Caller ID doesn't work here.

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

No not right now. The OpenTV deal wasn't economical. OpenTV was going to develop a middleware that would allow Motorola boxes to run Navigator. Navigator what the SA Boxes run. It does have no commercials in the guide . They could implement SDV within a month. It also mentions that they could do that. Comcast has converted some Moto areas to SA but TWC could do it. It's just a matter of spending money. ex Adelphia got more HD channels than the San Diego area but we caught up and then some.

Mind you that TWC San Diego doesn't even mention iGuide on their site. Navigator is getting there. It took 2 years to get an ok version. It will also be the guide for equipment. With tru2way you don't have to buy Motorola equipment. They will need Motorola cable cards but they can run them on a universal box by Samsung. TWC San Diego is testing the new Samsung SMT-H3050 HD STB and the SMT-H3090 HD-DVR. The SMT-H3090 has a nice spec list.

Hope this helps.