spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ted

@lclark.edu

[Connectivity] Modem "receive" light blinking, no connection, TV

This is sort of a unique situation that began last night. I'm in Portland, Oregon. The "receive" light on my Motorola Surfboard 5100 modem is blinking constantly, but I can't connect to the internet. Television through Comcast is still working fine.

I wanted to ask your opinion before I called Comcast.

Could this be due to a violation of the 250gb cap? From what I've read, this isn't assessed until the end of the month, and I haven't heard from Comcast.

The other possibility is that something occurred during construction that's occurring at my condo complex, but I'm skeptical because television still works.

I'm at work right now and haven't had a chance to run a signal test. I'm habitually paranoid, so I prefer calling Comcast to be a last resort. I download movies/music occasionally from private trackers

Thanks.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

Re: [Connectivity] Modem "receive" light blinking, no connection

I believe the usage is monitored by your billing period, but best to ask Comcast directly when you call them. You would need to access your modem status page to find out any more information on your own, but I believe this most likely is a connectivity issue.

Ted

@lclark.edu
What sort of information should I be looking for on the modem status page beyond the signal, if anything?

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
The log entries may give some of the members here an idea of what occurred and possibly why the modem is not establishing a connection. If the modem is far enough in its process that signal levels are presented on the signal page then those would also be useful. I assume you tried rebooting the modem?

IMO, if you have been disconnected for exceeding more usage than they think you should (painful to write), then calling Comcast will not make that situation any worse. Based on their new published policy, the 250 GB is a threshold (not hard cap) and the subscriber is supposed to get one warning per year before disconnection. I would just call them from work and see if they know what is going on and if a tech needs to come out, they can get the process started. Just my opinion...

wozz007

join:2008-09-09
Greensburg, PA
reply to Ted
If the recieve light is blinking, then the modem is not recieving a downstream signal from the network. The power, sned. recieve, and online should all be solid green in order to have an established connection to CMTS in your area. Your modem is offline. Try checking your coax connections and reset, if that doesnt help, time to call for a tech. It does not have anything to do with the 250gig cap. If you went over the cap, you would still have a internet connection, you speed would be throttled back is all.

Ted

@lclark.edu
reply to Ted
Simply unplugging/replugging the modem resets it?

wozz007

join:2008-09-09
Greensburg, PA
reply to Ted
yep, pull the power cord out, disconnect the coax cable and then do the reverse. Reconnect the coax and reconnect the power cord. Make sure that you back track the coax as best as you can, if the coax is loose at any point, that can cause the issue.

Ted

@lclark.edu
reply to Ted
The Signal to Noise Ratio never got about 24 dB after multiple refreshes, which made me think the coaxial cable was bad. I looked at the portion that goes outside, and sure enough, there was a bundle of duct tape covering part of it. The cable itself was exposed beneath the tape, so someone from Comcast is coming on Friday morning to fix it.

Thanks for the input.