FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Frontier CEO talks to press about coming caps & overage fees

»tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/2 ··· _charges
Frontier Communications Co. will probably charge its subscribers a dollar or two per gigabyte of Internet traffic if they go over the monthly allotments the company plans to introduce next year, Frontier's chief executive said Friday.

The company caused confusion and some dismay among customers earlier this year, when it said it would charge for Internet use above 5 gigabytes per month, starting next year.

Frontier was looking at providing higher monthly limits, perhaps 20 gigabytes per month, in more urban markets like Rochester and Elk Grove, Calif., where usage is higher than rural areas.

The company will also sell plans with higher download caps for higher prices, Wilderotter told The Associated Press, at increments like 10, 20 and 50 gigabytes.

"All networks are going to have to move to that paradigm in order to stay profitable," Wilderotter said at a conference in New York.

"The business model that we're using today really has our light users subsidizing our heavy users," she said.
Looks like different areas will get different caps and fees.
atigerman
join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI

2 edits

atigerman

quote:
Frontier was looking at providing higher monthly limits, perhaps 20 gigabytes per month, in more urban markets like Rochester and Elk Grove, Calif., where usage is higher than rural areas.

I hate to burst frontiers bubble, but i disagree in a statement like that. Us rural users can use just as much as our urban counterparts.

If your going to give the urban user 20 gigs of a cap, then dang it give us rural users 20 gigs too.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
Thanks for the article TK! Certainly the way Frontier says that rural areas are going to get lower caps is just pathetic. Many rural people these days use the internet to run businesses, and of course larger areas are going to have higher usage. Certainly if I were Frontier, I would not move in this direction. The service has never given me a problem before nor has it ever unperformed, and it'd be sad to see such quality service hindered by caps. Yeah the California network is a wreck from what I hear here, but up in my part of NY it's solid. All the california network needs is a good upgrade and it's good to go.
n2ubp
join:2007-07-13
Middletown, NY

n2ubp

Well this is perfect. I work from home, sending and receiving lots of databases and maps. As part of my volunteer work I have an automated weather alert program that sends out e-mail to about 100 people during severe storms. Add the wife and kids usage and the TIVO and I will easily exceed the cap. Frontier has just signed their termination papers with this announcement. The early wakeup call will allow me to migrate to a non ISP bound e-mail address and from there I can jump ship to a FASTER competitor. I can then drop the three POTS lines for VOIP service and I will be done with them. Goodbye Frontier. I'm tired of your empty promises of faster, better, more reliable service. You are broken and greedy.
turls
Premium Member
join:2004-05-23
Carlinville, IL

2 edits

turls to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
First they put their foot in their mouth on net neutrality, now this whole nonsense about urban markets customers using more bandwidth than rural. What does that have to do with it? More like we'll give higher caps in towns we have competition.
angrybeaver
join:2008-10-22
Montgomery Creek, CA

angrybeaver to FFH5

to FFH5
Wow. What a f'ing joke. service is already sh*itty in northern cali and they're going to cap us and charge us more. Wow...
billko
join:2007-07-16
Pennellville, NY

billko

This is a joke because if they were truly limting usage because of internet traffic, it should be reversed. There should be a lower cap in areas that are saturated (i.e. big metro areas), and higher cap in areas that are not (i.e. rural areas).

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

But yet again that brings up another question. What exactly is feeding the areas? Since some areas, well very rural areas are usually fed by T1s, they could be considered "overloaded" when at the same time, fiber fed areas could be considered "overloaded", but I do agree with you on that in a sense.
billko
join:2007-07-16
Pennellville, NY

billko

said by Smith6612:

But yet again that brings up another question. What exactly is feeding the areas? Since some areas, well very rural areas are usually fed by T1s, they could be considered "overloaded" when at the same time, fiber fed areas could be considered "overloaded", but I do agree with you on that in a sense.
I was thinking the same thing as I was typing it. At the same time, there's only one other person in my area that has ForntierNet service.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak to n2ubp

Premium Member

to n2ubp
said by n2ubp:

Goodbye Frontier. I'm tired of your empty promises of faster, better, more reliable service. You are broken and greedy.
Well said, Very well said!! Frontiers' promises here in Elk Grove have been empty and broken sooo many times, I lost count.
It is sad, but they have made their bed.
angrybeaver
join:2008-10-22
Montgomery Creek, CA

angrybeaver

It sucks for people that have no other option to turn to, other than dial-up and satellite.. :/
pbeaudet
Premium Member
join:2005-03-02
Burney, CA

pbeaudet to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
It sucks for people that have no other option to turn to, other than dial-up and satellite..

SUCKS!

I agree!