Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2

1 edit

Surprised.

I really thought that the CRTC would vote against Bell Canada.

Totally sucks for Canadians.

BellER

@on.ca

Get Rid Of The CRTC

I think its time we get rid of the CRTC they are doing nothing good for the customers!

I think its time to start our own network and get rid of bell/rogers

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

2 edits
reply to Rob

Re: Surprised.

Luckily for you, you live two countries south, just south of the USA, in Kendall.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 edit
reply to BellER

Re: Get Rid Of The CRTC

But as most people on here said when I suggested that--it costs toooo much to build your own network out. blah blah blah.

edit add: and the ISPs should be able to use the Bell network to deliver ISP services.

hurleyp

join:2000-06-20
Ottawa, ON
reply to Rob

I'm not surprised at all. CRTC = Canadian Roadblock to Telecommunications Competition.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
reply to Rob
said by Rob:

I really thought that the CRTC would vote against Bell Canada.

Totally sucks for Canadians.
Well, strictly speaking, if Bell Canada is applying "management" to all traffic, then it's not discriminatory. But that's a very strict view of "discriminatory" - it ignores the effective consequences of the action. It appears that the CRTC's chosen to take the exceedingnly strict view - "why" is open for debate.
--
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
It's true that it may not be 'discriminatory'- so long as it does apply to, as you say, all traffic. It's probably a violation of their contract with the wholesale purchasers, though.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
You can read here all the reasons the CRTC decided as they did. It lays out why the CRTC disagreed with CAIP's contentions that Bell was violating tariff agreements and contractual terms:
»www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decis···-108.htm

Sempronius

join:2008-09-18
Toronto, ON
reply to BellER

Get Rid Of The CRTC

said by BellER :

I think its time we get rid of the CRTC they are doing nothing good for the customers!
It's time to give the boot to the Chairman of the Board at the CRTC and reinstate an honest person who isn't corrupted by the Government. I elect Michael Geist as Chair of the Board.

Stojko
Premium
join:2007-10-20
St John's NL
reply to hurleyp

said by hurleyp:

I'm not surprised at all. CRTC = Canadian Roadblock to Telecommunications Competition.
And now I know what CRTC stands for.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
reply to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

It's true that it may not be 'discriminatory'- so long as it does apply to, as you say, all traffic. It's probably a violation of their contract with the wholesale purchasers, though.
Then again, having worked for Bell Atlantic, there's enough internal bookkeeping tricks that equal application is pretty much meaningless.
--
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell