uniqs
share rss forum feed

rra
Advice

join:2008-09-19
Kingsville, MO
reply to ViRGEdx

Re: Digital Transport Adapter Unboxing Photos

It seems that everyone here is confused as to what this device does. Customer's that have cablecard installed on their tv or tivo haven't been able to get SDV (switched digital video) This tuning adapter resolves that.

You still have to pay for the channels. It's only purpose is to provide authorized channels a way to be viewed without a cablebox. This makes cablecards and Tivos functional again.

Why would this device need any output but coax. It goes between the tv and the wall or between the wall and the tivo.

The only reason it has a mac address is prolly for tracking/stocking purposes. You get it for free but I'm sure there's a cost if you lose/damage it.

miscDude

@comcast.com
said by rra:

It seems that everyone here is confused as to what this device does. Customer's that have cablecard installed on their tv or tivo haven't been able to get SDV (switched digital video) This tuning adapter resolves that.

You still have to pay for the channels. It's only purpose is to provide authorized channels a way to be viewed without a cablebox. This makes cablecards and Tivos functional again.

Why would this device need any output but coax. It goes between the tv and the wall or between the wall and the tivo.

The only reason it has a mac address is prolly for tracking/stocking purposes. You get it for free but I'm sure there's a cost if you lose/damage it.
There is a difference between the DTA (Digital Transport/Tuning Adapter) and the TiVO SDV tuning resolver.

One key difference you will notice out of the box....The Tuning resolver for Tivo's isn't going to include a remote because the TiVO will communicate with it directly when it attempts to tune an SDV stream to allow the resolver to handle the SDV request.

Beyond that, I have yet to hear of any Comcast site's actually deploying SDV, so beyond that test market in NJ that was starting to distribute them in anticipation of a SDV trial (and recently received notice that trial was put on hold because of some FCC decisions), I don't know why Comcast would be still handing these out.