uniqs
share rss forum feed

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

A Styrofoam friendly contact adhesive

Okay.. I am in the process of RE-rebuilding the roof on my popup camper. The roof consists of an aluminum outer skin, a Styrofoam core, and then a 1/8" plywood or panelboard interior.

I rebuilt it once, using PL Adhesives Polyurethane construction adhesive. It held for about 2 years, until a combination of events led to a failure. (Kids played on the roof, caving it in a little, and then water puddled in the center. The seam seal failed, and water infiltrated the roof, ruining the wood.

When I removed one of the panels, the glue that I had laid out (the stuff comes in a tube laid out with a caulking gun, I think I had a 1/4" bead.) When I inspected the panel, the glue never really spread out. This is partially because I didn't support it right during curing, but also because of the long cure time of the adhesive.

So I am going to do this again. I am going to remove the roof from the camper, flip it over, so I can lay down new panels.

Well, I need a contact adhesive that is friendly to Styrofoam (expanded polystyrene). I tried two contact cements from the local home center, and both eat the Styrofoam. I also tried Liquid Nails, but the chemicals released during curing also ate the Styrofoam.

What I will be doing is gluing some Styrofoam to the aluminum, gluing wood to the aluminum, and gluing wood to the Styrofoam.

Application is not really a big issue, but something that can be sprayed with an air sprayer would be easiest. I would even consider something that is troweled or spread out.

It has to hold up to heat, approx 120-130 degrees (however hot an aluminum roof gets in the sun.) Also has to have some flexibility to it.

Things I have tried: (I set up samples to test the bond between foam and the panels. Some made it, some didn't.)

*PL Adhesives Polyurethane Construction Adhesive - Works but doesn't spread out well, and dries slowly. Friendly to Styrofoam.

*Liquid Nails - Okay when in the open, but in a closed environment (in a laminate situation) it eats Styrofoam. Same as PL.

*DAP Contact Adhesive - Eats Styrofoam. Also the foam safe version eats the Styrofoam. Never made it past the testing stages.

*Floor tile adhesive - Spreads well, but slow drying time. Never made it past the testing stages.

They make something called Whisper Spray (made by Henkel I think), but I cannot find a source for it, nor find any proof that it won't hurt the Styrofoam.

So, any ideas?
--
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
"We're either gonna die or gonna fly...", Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
kudos:3

1 edit

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to neonhomer

Beacon Hold the foam, from the craft store?

Premier Inn

@shawcable.net
reply to neonhomer

PL300 (styrofoam adhesive)
3M Super 77
Latex Contact Cement

Also some products available at stucco supply stores. (Dryvit styroglue)

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
reply to neonhomer

I think what I really need is a Styrofoam friendly contact adhesive. Spray/spread on, let flash over, put the two parts together.... stuck forever.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to neonhomer

I think with any adhesive, it has to be braced till it cures.

carpent480

join:2007-01-16
O Fallon, IL
reply to neonhomer

You can actually use most expanding foam sealants for gluing up Styrofoam also and for holding the sheets in place if you check with a local insulation contractor they will have some pins which you can epoxy onto the inside of the roof deck and they will hold the sheets quickly so you can get on with things

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

That might be an option to look into. I was hoping for a contact adhesive so I could put the panel in place, roll it to get a good bond, and then be done. This "Whisper Spray" stuff is supposed to be like that, but I am not able to find a vendor for it.

StNickless

@tmodns.net
reply to neonhomer

3M brand "spray 77N".

The first link the 2nd poster in this thread linked up.

Nothing will come close, not for any price.
WalMart carries it, as does about every automotive parts house in the country.

tomj1225
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Allentown, PA
reply to neonhomer

They make a Liquid Nails adhesive for foamboard, sold at home depot's in the paint dept.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

The Liquid Nails products outgas as they cure, and they will melt Styrofoam. Foamboard and Styrofoam are two different products.

I am not sure about the Super 77... I have heard bad things about it not holding too well.

Keep in mind, whatever product I choose has to be able to hold (basically) a 4'x 8' sheet of 1/8" Luan plywood up though summer heat and bouncing down the road.
--
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
"We're either gonna die or gonna fly...", Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
kudos:3

I don't know, but have you thought about using a product like Thermax foil faced insulation board? The board has a laminated aluminum facing, which may keep the adhesive from eating the foamboard.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

The Styrofoam is already in place, as part of the original roof. I don't want to remove that and disturb the original bond.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

1 edit
reply to neonhomer

said by neonhomer:

I think what I really need is a Styrofoam friendly contact adhesive. Spray/spread on, let flash over, put the two parts together.... stuck forever.
Liquid Nails, available everywhere. Use a caulking gun to apply. Comes in many formulas, foam adhesive formula available (read the tube). The stucco suplier advice above is good also, foam detail and lettering adhesive should work well. Stucco contractors use an adheive grout that can be mixed in a bucket and troweled on.
--
My grandkids ARE cuter than yours!

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

Please read my original post.... Liquid Nails, even if you let it flash over, still emits gases that will eat Styrofoam. Besides, it is still like the PL Adhesives stuff, it doesn't spread well.

If I spread it with a trowel, by the time the panel is spread, the glue is drying...

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

1 edit

Having read that post I was sure to advize checking the formula, liquid nails is available in the proper formula for use with Styrofoam. Perhaps you should read more carefuly. (re."read the tube")
Perhaps you might try this-- »www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt···YD3&P=FR
--
My grandkids ARE cuter than yours!

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

I have tried the Foamboard version, and the regular Lquid Nails, and they both eat the foam in my tests.

LewieOliver

join:2009-03-09
Woodland, AL
reply to neonhomer

We used 3M 78 spray adhesive to glue the frp board to the foam for the ceiling. So far so good. We now have the aluminum off the top - hail damaged - and will use the same to glue the aluminum to the foam. Hope all goes well as i have reservations at the beach in 20 days!

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to neonhomer

We went through this last year »An EPS friendly glue....

Did you try any of the spray adhesives mentioned by Quiglag See Profile and myself?
--
Prevent Malware