1 recommendation

Chris 313 to EG

Premium Member

to EG

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

said by EG:

said by dadkins:

Go for it!
More than once we have seen people buy from ebay and recieve a stolen/non-provisionable modem.
How do you spell B-R-I-C-K ?
How bout a very expensive doorstop?

delusion FTL
@comcast.net

delusion FTL

Anon

Besides I probably wont buy a D3 modem for years since the sb5100 runs the ultra (22/5) just fine.
K Patterson
Premium Member
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH

K Patterson to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313
How about nothing? Note that the seller will shhip three wees after the payment is received. Sounds like a stolen eBay account.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

SpaethCo to delusion FTL

MVM

to delusion FTL
said by delusion FTL :

Besides I probably wont buy a D3 modem for years since the sb5100 runs the ultra (22/5) just fine.
I expect them to crack down on this at some point. 22/5 on DOCSIS2 with Comcast's channel loading tends to be a bad idea.

Just because you can do it with the 5100 doesn't mean you should do it with that modem.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

netcool

Premium Member

Agreed. I've heard rumblings about removing the 22/5 bootfiles for all non D3 devices as well.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
I'm thinking they are waiting for the D3 modems to be more main stream and available in retail stores. It would hurt their bottom line if they required D3 modems on 22/5 tiers at the moment.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to SpaethCo

MVM

to SpaethCo
said by SpaethCo:
said by delusion FTL :

I expect them to crack down on this at some point. 22/5 on DOCSIS2 with Comcast's channel loading tends to be a bad idea.

Just because you can do it with the 5100 doesn't mean you should do it with that modem.
Who's that directed at? Comcast or the customer who is paying for 22/5 using a D2 modem?

If I'm a customer paying for 22/5 and using a D2 modem, I don't give a crap if I "shouldn't" do it.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

1 recommendation

SpaethCo

MVM

said by Johkal:

Who's that directed at? Comcast or the customer who is paying for 22/5 using a D2 modem?

If I'm a customer paying for 22/5 and using a D2 modem, I don't give a crap if I "shouldn't" do it.
Allocating 58% of a 38mbps DOCSIS channel to a single user is an unwise move on the provider side for channel-loading reasons, and will undoubtedly lead to poor performance experienced by subscribers. It's a lose-lose situation.

Given that all of the advertising for the new tiers shows the price with the required modem rental fee included, it would appear that the people who put together the plans realized this and tried to plan accordingly. I would suspect D2 hardware being turned up for the 22/5 tier would be attributed to errors in internal communication / training.

I recently converted to business services and was provisioned with a SMC 8014 temporarily on 22/5 service due to a shortage of Motorola/Cisco kit. Off-hours I get the same performance as I had with my SciAtl 2505 with channel-bonding on the residential 22/5 plan, but during the day it's quite obvious that I am only attaching to a single channel.

Personally I can't see why a customer would want to screw themselves out of performance after paying $62.95/mo for the Ultra tier simply to save $3/mo in rental fees.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

exacly

if you pay for service then why not get it