The OC
kudos:6
reply to tipstir

Re: Advanced Wireless Settings

said by tipstir:

Make sure you have this set like below:

RTS Threshold : 2347
Fragmentation : 2346

On each wireless adapter you on your laptop or desktop make sure the above matches the wireless router.
Care to explain why? What are the benefits? Are these settings universally beneficial over the default settings, or are they situation-dependent? If the former, why are they not defaults?

MLGTWISTED

join:2007-01-19
Melville, NY

1 edit
said by No_Strings:

said by tipstir:

Make sure you have this set like below:

RTS Threshold : 2347
Fragmentation : 2346

On each wireless adapter you on your laptop or desktop make sure the above matches the wireless router.
Care to explain why? What are the benefits? Are these settings universally beneficial over the default settings, or are they situation-dependent? If the former, why are they not defaults?
Thats a great question.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
Only one of them? The other three were just OK?

tipstir

join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to No_Strings
I've been testing and compared it with high performance MIMO card I am using it which has higher threshold. So after a few weeks of testing these setting the results look good enough to share them with the fellow DLINK crowd. To improve wireless LAN performance on request/ready to send frame packets.

Just write down your settings prior before you change them.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
I'm sure the members appreciate the effort. For the numbers to be truly useful, though, more details are needed:

What were the testing conditions?
What was used as a control?
What were the specific improvements measured?
What tools?

I'm not doubting your results, but before people start turning knobs it would be good to know specifics.

tipstir

Boca Raton, FL

1 edit
Let's see today...

Tested partition C: backup with normal compression active and created image of the HDD over the network 100% wireless N only at TX 150 RX 300 Link Quality 100%, Signal Strength 84% RTS set to 2347 in the router. To wireless N access point.

Total size of image file created 6GB
Time to transfer to sub basement File Server 19 minutes.

2nd Test last week was House and 200FT away from the house test. Prior to that was the DIR-655 AP test, prior to that was the 1.22B05 Test..

About to release a how to mod clones DIR-615 and TEW-652BRP video. But you know if it wasn't for the DIR-655 wouldn't have bother testing Wireless N. Prior years I did the Wireless G had samples of the test.

My goal is to improve wireless LAN and gigabit performance. That I did already but the wireless LAN and the way these hardware are design they need to go back tot he drawing boards. But with some modding you can have good wireless router.

I'll be at it..

RTS is set to the max though. Those can try it won't blow-up the router!

MLGTWISTED

Melville, NY
I'm gonna use these settings tonight, need to power cycle anyway.

MLGTWISTED

Melville, NY
reply to No_Strings
I just set my 4500 to default, didn't change a thing and I'm getting hardly any wireless errors. I'm just not touching it anymore, lol.

tipstir

Boca Raton, FL
said by MLGTWISTED:

I just set my 4500 to default, didn't change a thing and I'm getting hardly any wireless errors. I'm just not touching it anymore, lol.
Whatever works..