Search similar:

uniqs

mikedavid00
@dsl.bell.ca

mikedavid00

Anon

[Internet] Please report YOUTUBE problems

Ok.

I have been having a lot of trouble as of late with Youtube. I am a daily Youtube viewer and I swear I am being throttled very bad as of this last week.

It's like I have to hit the video 3-5 times over again before it will buffer me.

I'm not sure if this is Youtube's doing, or if this is Bell's doing. Either way I would like to know if any of you are having problems with Youtube videos buffering, or showing 'Not available'.

When I used a US based proxy just now, the videos loaded fine, but, when using my Sympatico connection, I get 'Video not available'.

And these are just the tip of the iceberg. Even If it does buffer, it could stop half way.

Many, many times I have to launch some videos, wait, wait wait and keep my videos on PAUSE until they buffer up. I feel like I'm back in 1996 having to leave my desk while waiting for something to load.

I have not heard about complaints from Rogers customers having the same issues. I have no idea what is going on but I'm really, really angry. This wasn't a problem last year. It's slowly been getting worse the last 6 months or so.

I've tested my bandwidth when this happens and it's fine. There are no issues there. This is ONLY with Youtube in specific.

This is *supposed* to be a first-world country, with a first-world Internet connection. I just hope we are not taking on *another* third-world practice.

Please report if you have problems with Youtube.

Thanks!

zeitgeist
No relation with the movies
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01

1 edit

zeitgeist

Premium Member

No problems with YouTube here, videos buffer and play almost instantly, as usual.

Edit: I guess it depends on what you're watching. The more popular videos generate more traffic.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to mikedavid00

to mikedavid00
Your not the only seeing problems with youtube, see »Rogers throttling youtube?

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to mikedavid00

Premium Member

to mikedavid00
I was having this problem awhile ago. What was happening was I have Bittorrent and bundled with it is btdna. Btdna (Bittorrent DNA)uses p2p technology to make your internet connection to websites faster, but to Bell's throttling, it looks like you are downloading torrents. So I was having my whole internet service throttled between 4:30pm and 2:00am.

I had to remove it from the start-up menu by running "msconfig" and removing the check next to "btdna". Restarted my computer and never had a problem again. You can also turn btdna off and on in the control panel under internet connections. If you don't remove it from the start up menu, it will be there when you start or re-boot your computer.

If you don't have Bittorent, then it could be a similar programme doing it. Just check the start up menu and see if there is anything you can find that would be linked to some sort of p2p programme.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Roborama
@mc.videotron.ca

Roborama to mikedavid00

Anon

to mikedavid00
probably the load on youtube. in addition to the rogers link above, its affecting videotron users as well, as seen here:
»[Cable] Youtube extrêmement lent

youtube made some big additions apparently last march, adding free Disney content, movies and series (not available to CDN). So its very possibly due to load.

What Jackorama said is also true and will cause you problems.

mikedavid0
@dsl.bell.ca

mikedavid0

Anon

Well I dont have any of those apps installed and checked my msconfig just incase.

Even if I did install that app, I find it a good solution for Youtube and streaming content in general and actual never thought of such a good idea.

But again, it shows how Rogers/Bell think that their connection is a charity rather than a service.

I *PAY* for the bandwidth and should be able to do what I like with it. If there are users using their bandwidth and their network can't handle it, that's their problem and they need to manage their finances better and upgrade their services. At least let me go to a competitor where there are no caps.

Facts are, there are HD movies now. I'm not into movies or such but those who are, can easily download 600 gigs a month or more from just 2 movies a week.

There's nothing wrong with that because that's what he is paying for.

I agree with Cuban style communist internet as long as it's all for free and we can do some candle light shared commune sort of thing where we all agree not to hurt another 'brothers' bandwidth. But we don't live in that kind of country do we.

But when I'm paying for a private company to shape my bandwidth and have NO practical alternative because they are protected by a communist gov't body, well, that is just a step backwards in time and history and now it becomes like a communist country.

Of course, those who sit on the council of the CRTC.. yeah.. i'm sure they don't own ANY shares of Rogers and BCE. Nooooo.. I'm sure they don't. So now I have no other practical alternatives (like health care) and am stuck in another gov't protected 'joke of a service'.

That my friends is third world style corruption and gov't.