·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to Kamika007z

MVM

to Kamika007z

Re: MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread

Since we haven't found a way to bridge the ActionTec Rev. E yet, the easiest say to do this is to run CAT5e Cabling from the ONT to where your router is, then call up the FSC and have them switch your ONT from Coax MoCa to Ethernet. That'll make it much more fiexible in the future when changing out routers and such as well.

Kamika007z
@verizon.net

Kamika007z

Anon

Smith6612,

Thank you, I think this is the better route as well.

Could I have Verizon switch the ONT to ethernet free of charge? We are still within the 30 days (it was installed last Thursday).

Also, what does the acronym FSC stand for?

And finally, if/when they switch it to Ethernet, can I just omit and remove the Actiontec and use my router instead of theirs at all?

Thank you,
Kamika007z

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Switch to Ethernet is free (it's all done via Software on the ONT), just as long as you do not ask anyone from Verizon to come out and run the Ethernet cabling.

Kamika007z
@verizon.net

Kamika007z

Anon

Could I open the ONT and run the ethernet myself?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

The user side on the ONT can be opened, and you can plug the cat5 cable in at the right place. You might want to be alert to what's the right place. At least one ONT has a RJ45 type connection that comes out to the POTS block, I think. If in doubt, post a pic and ask here.

Check out the FAQs starting here for more details. »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

Kamika007z
@verizon.net

Kamika007z

Anon

I just spoke to Verizon and have opened up a ticket with them regarding the ONT box and changing it over to RJ45.

I saw that there is an RJ45 connector as well as a coax which is currently being used. I ran a RJ45 wire from the box to the inside where the rest of the Verizon gear is and will call them tomorrow and connect it to the Actiontec.

My question is now this: when I call up Verizon and have them change over to the RJ45 connection, does that mean I will lose the coax connections (or any other coax-required connection) to each set top box as well?

Any additional info one can provide would be great.

Thank you!

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612

MVM

Your FiOS TV will still work. The ONT just won't be providing an internet signal via the Coax anymore. So, if you have FiOS TV, take your router and plug it into the RJ45 cabling, and then take the ActionTec you have and hang it off of your DD-WRT router. That way, the ActionTec will act as a NIM100 and can give your STBs information. To make sure though, since the boxes do store quite a bit of guide info in them, unplug the STBs and plug them back in and make sure they download guide data, once you verify that your Ethernet setup is in fact working.

Kamika007z
@verizon.net

Kamika007z

Anon

Smith6612 and birdfeedr thank you so much for making sense of all of this. I really do appreciate your time and patience with me so far.

Smith6612, which plugs into what ports? Can you please elaborate on that portion? Also, is there any settings I would need to change within the Actiontec MI424-WR Rev E that I would need to perform?

Or if there is any documentation on this specific modem, could you point me in the right direction as I've been only to find guides regarding the older revisions of this modem.

Thank you,
Kamika007z

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Kamika007z :

which plugs into what ports? Can you please elaborate on that portion?
Everything you need to know is here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

Your FiOS TV will still work. The ONT just won't be providing an internet signal via the Coax anymore. So, if you have FiOS TV, take your router and plug it into the RJ45 cabling, and then take the ActionTec you have and hang it off of your DD-WRT router. That way, the ActionTec will act as a NIM100 and can give your STBs information. To make sure though, since the boxes do store quite a bit of guide info in them, unplug the STBs and plug them back in and make sure they download guide data, once you verify that your Ethernet setup is in fact working.
there’s a little more than just that, in addition to running CAT5 for the new router he will need to re-route the coax.

1. He will need a coax run FROM the ONT TO the splitter
2. He will also need coax run FROM the splitter TO the bridge (A/T or NIM100)

he may be able to salvage the one length of coax running from the ONT, but he will be running some additional coax for sure.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Pureblood:

there’s a little more than just that, in addition to running CAT5 for the new router he will need to re-route the coax.

1. He will need a coax run FROM the ONT TO the splitter
2. He will also need coax run FROM the splitter TO the bridge (A/T or NIM100)

he may be able to salvage the one length of coax running from the ONT, but he will be running some additional coax for sure.
If someone already has internet over coax and FIOS-TV, their Actiontec is already connected to the main splitter. There is no need to reroute the coax. Adding a coax run through the splitter is only necessary when adding FIOS-TV to an internet only install.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood

Premium Member

That’s true and I should have been more specific and said adding or changing locations.

What I should have said is it’s going to require a little more than going to BestBuy and picking up a 25ft patch cable if he (or she) plans to keep it semi neat by concealing the install. But if the guy doesn’t mine cables, power strips, and power supplies obstructing the living space have at it. Now may be a go time to reconfigure if necessary