how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zorglub8

join:2000-11-18
Fremont, CA

How to avoid the $149 install fee?

Low and behold, the system has been updated and I can order U-Verse. I just want the VOIP and the Internet, but ATT wants to bill $149 for the install. Of course, if I get the triple play, it's free. So, if I cancel the video services within 30 days, do I still get the free install?

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3

You should but we have heard rumors it doesn't work anymore. What happens if you try to order via the internet?

Zorglub8

Fremont, CA

1 edit

Internet = $149...

I will try. At any rate, I have full money back if I want to cancel everything. We'll see at that point.

Zorglub8

Fremont, CA

The TOS says that there is a downgrade fee if cancelling within 30 days of ordering...

jfw

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Zorglub8

I was thinking about switching my at&t DSL and POTS telephone to U-verse internet and voice. I do not want the tv service since I have Directv and am completely happy with it. I called U-verse sales and when I got the info I needed I told the sales rep I would think about it and call back or order on line. She then asked me if there was any way I would consider completing the order now, so I told her if she would waive the $149 install fee she could take the order. I heard her typing away on her keyboard and she then tells me... done, free installation.
This was less than a month ago so I haven't received my bill yet, i'll see what happens.

Zorglub8

Fremont, CA

When I called last night. The guy on the phone told me that I had to order the TV and he could not put an order through without the TV...

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Rep not willing to help that's all. Try calling back and get a different rep. Some acted as if they would be willing to order and when the $149 fee came up. They told the rep no thanks I will wait for a promo. That caused the reps to waive the $149 fee so you would order with them.

As always when you do any phone order get the at&t ID of that rep just in case.

Ark

join:2002-06-08
Ada, MI
reply to Zorglub8

Well I just called in twice and both people refused to even talk about ordering just Internet. They put me on hold for quite a while, talking to a manager both times, and offered me some triple-play bundle at $104/month (1-year promotion, then $125/month after). I don't think they realize that Dish's TurboHD Bronze+DishDVR Advanage has a -normal- monthly price of $39.99 for all the basic channels, locals, HD, and DVR service, and their TV offering just isn't anything I'm interesting it.

I didn't even get to talking about the $149 installation, but I know I can order just internet at »uverse1.att.com/ right now, as long as I want to pay that installation fee. Unfortunately, I can get 16/2 (about the same as 18/1.5) from Comcast for near the same price, with free installation. Without a good U-verse promotion by June 5, when my current DSL contract is up, I might be forced to switch to Comcast to avoid these silly bundles and installation charges.

FastAttack
Premium
join:2000-07-28
Tampa, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

2 edits
reply to Zorglub8

i just called 2 different reps..

and so far no luck.

One told me i couldn't order internet only because i am in a dsl green area..
if its green then i can't order uverse internet only and even though online it shows that i can , the order would be kicked out when processed.

hell at this point i was willing to try it out... but att dsl is notorious if you let go of the service , to get it back it might be a nightmare as sometimes the ports are removed from the system. and if i am able to get it back i might not be able to get my 6.0 service back.

sad to say the least.

Zorglub8

Fremont, CA

1 edit

I ended up cancelling the order. They would not give me free install on the Internet, but I got upgraded to 3MBps DSL for free for a year. Not a complete loss. The 1MBps upstream would have been great but I can live without it.

Ark

Ada, MI
reply to Zorglub8

I got a mail-in-rebate deal which pretty much covered the installation fee by going to the AT&T store at my local mall. I never saw the same deal online. I had to sign up for the U-verse voice, which I don't really care about, because I have a landline, but I never really use that either.

jfw

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Zorglub8

I guess ordering internet alone is a no go, I ordered internet and voice (no tv) and had no problem. Been up and running for two weeks.

Zorglub8

Fremont, CA

You can order piece meal on the net, but they charge you $149 install for it. I'm not willing to pay $150 to install a slightly faster DSL and a phone line that will do exactly the same thing as what my POTS is doing now.

Ark

Ada, MI

There is at least a $100 mail in rebate if you get the right people and get the Unlimited Voice + Internet. I don't really care about the $30/month Unlimited voice because that is the same price as basic POTS in Michigan. I don't use it for local calls and I probably won't use it for anything else when they port it to Voip for that deal, but at least it cut my install down to a reasonable price. I never even had a long distance carrier on my POTS before, so it doesn't really matter to me either way.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL

Taxes should be cheaper on VoIP for you vs POTS as well.

FastAttack
Premium
Tampa, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Zorglub8

no voip here..

my plan was to switch to uverse 18 meg plan + voip and dump the landline which i pay $135 for unlimited long distance within the US.
this is with all the bells and whistles + 6 megabit internet..

I would prefer 18 megabits + voip.

FastAttack
Premium
Tampa, FL

1 edit
reply to Zorglub8

double post.. wierd.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Unless something has changed, there is a POTS Unlimited with all the Bells & Whistles (unlisted is still extra, I think though, but it is on VoIP, too) for $30/month for U-Verse Customers only. It is called "All Distance for U-Verse". But you must be have U-Verse to qualify.

microe

join:2009-05-21
Glendale, CA
reply to Zorglub8

I have this mailer here in front of me that says that if I get U200+anything I get $200 cash back. Then there is a 30-day requirement in the ToS. So get the bundle and then cancel TV on the 31st day. You don't get the $149 install charge and you get $200 towards offsetting the first month of U200. Sounds like a deal. I intend to try this deal tomorrow (as it is the last day of the deal). BTW, the order has to be done over the internet.

Enlightener

join:2006-01-28
Cedar Park, TX
reply to Zorglub8

$149? Eikes. I just went online to see about adding U-Verse voice and they want $30/mo + $149 install fee. My Vonage is $25/mo so that makes Uverse $209 more expensive over the next twelve months.