share rss forum feed

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to SLD

Re: Gov't and clear goals don't belong in the same sentence

said by SLD:

typically, gov't waste is a pittance compared to corporate profits earned on our backs.
I read that statement in utter disbelief. You actually mean that? Has any corporation EVER wasted even half as much money as the recent stimulus package?

There's no doubt that many (if not most) corporations are run by greedy people that would sell everything good and wholesome for a buck. There's also no doubt that many (if not most) politicians - especially at the federal level - are greedy people looking out solely for their own careers and back pockets who will sanction absolutely anything that's politically expedient, regardless of how badly people get hurt.

I think you have some serious blinders on.
--
It's a trick. Get an axe. - Ash

lakerfan82

join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA

footballdude See Profile
There's no doubt that many (if not most) corporations are run by greedy people that would sell everything good and wholesome for a buck. There's also no doubt that many (if not most) politicians - especially at the federal level - are greedy people looking out solely for their own careers and back pockets who will sanction absolutely anything that's politically expedient, regardless of how badly people get hurt.
Isn't that the truth...its as if people believe that corporations have a monopoly on greed. The same types of greedy people running the corporations are also running the government. Corps at least have competition and shareholders to keep themselves in check. The gov't? There's no competition to keep the gov't in check, they can tax all they want and waste all they want. No one is going to run the gov't out of business. I guess technically the gov't answers to the voters, but when voters only have two choices, there's not much accountability...

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA
reply to footballdude

I never said that corporations waste much. I said they reap much larger profits when possible than the gov't will waste.

lakerfan82

Corona, CA

said by SLD:

I never said that corporations waste much. I said they reap much larger profits when possible than the gov't will waste.
Thats simply not true as many on this forum have already shown. Furthermore, how much profit a company makes is frankly none of your concern (this is a free country, is it not?). If you think Exxon makes too much money, no one is stopping you from buying your gas at Shell. Its really that simple.

SLD
Premium
San Francisco, CA

Nobody has "shown" anything. And if you read my argument, it is simply that the gov't can provide services at lower cost to its citizens than a private corporation can because there is no profit to consider. Plain and simple. If you "guys" want to make more of it than that, then have fun, but I'm tired of arguing points that others are fabricating and claiming that I wrote such.

lakerfan82

Corona, CA

Your argument is based solely on the "Theory" that since the government has no profit incentive, it can produce goods at a lower price than a profit driven private business. In "theory" that seems reasonable until you realize that since the government has no competition, it also has no "incentive" to produce ever MORE efficiently. REALITY proves this.

SLD
Premium
San Francisco, CA

And reality also proves that free markets don't work the way you claim either.