Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Looking for THE BEST ant killer on the market.

We have an ant problem. There's so many of them outside on our porch, and there were a lot in our bathroom. The Terro liquid ant baits seemed to keep the inside under control, but what do I do about the outside? I want something really strong that's guaranteed to kill them. There's lots of them outside the perimeter of the whole place. If I don't get them under control outside, I know they are going to make it inside to other rooms, not just the bathroom.

Should I use some liquid spray, or a powder? Is it something I can buy from Home Depot or Wal-Mart, or is it something I'm going to have to special order online? As a bonus it would be great if it would kill or defend against other bugs as well (We get those stink bugs and spiders).

They are the little black nuisance ant's. They are attracted to the Terro sweet bait, but every time it rains I have to re-apply it. Plus I'm hoping to find another thing I can use in combination to get these guys quick.

Anyone have any success stories?

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
The only "guaranteed" ant control has Neolite molded into the bottom of it.
--
I was born at night... but not last night!

mcd

join:2007-05-19
said by Pacrat:

The only "guaranteed" ant control has Neolite molded into the bottom of it.
lol, took me a minute.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO
reply to cypherstream
We had a real insect problem last year when we moved to the house we're in now. I used Ortho Home Defense Max spray, which says it lasts 12 months and it has come pretty close. That was 11 months ago and I just last week saw my first spider in the house. You spray a 12 wide strip around your house and it seems to do the job really well. It can be used indoors or out as long as you follow the directions.
--
Gadgets

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to cypherstream
Take the time and read all the pull out labels - well worth your time.

As an example: Spectracide is listed for edible fruits and nuts, while Ortho and Bayer are not.

Some have special requirements for pets and children.

Edit:
Some can only be used outside!!!
Watch locations such as out side air vents - you don't want that nasy stuff pulled back in the house.

JTY

join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA
reply to cypherstream
I've used with very good success Terro's outdoor product. It comes in a bag, and you spread the stuff in your lawn, and around the outside of your house.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to cypherstream
Amdro, works every time. spread it around the perimeter of teh house and any visible ant beds, and they will be dead in a week.

BTW, ants will just keep coming back until you get rid of their food source. either your garbage can or something is attracting them to the area. you need to figure this out as well. we kept getting ants coming by 1 window and had never had an issue before. come to find out my daughter thought the corner there under the nightstand was the best place to get rid of gum/candy she did not like.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

Zaber
When all are gone, there shall be none

join:2000-06-08
Cleveland, OH
reply to cypherstream
It almost sounds like pavement ants. We had them the first couple years after I bought the house. Ortho Home Defense worked very well at controlling them but I had to reapply it often, twice a year or so. I finally called an exterminator who eradicated the colony.
--
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he will feed himself for a lifetime

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to cypherstream

Just a little humor

Somehow I think the best ant killer would make it look like the ant committed suicide

That's a very specialized field.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

bkjohnson
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to cypherstream

Re: Looking for THE BEST ant killer on the market.

Ant Eater
You need one of these guys! On the serious side, I live in an area plagued with many kinds of ants. Different home and professional remedies have been tried without complete success by both me & my neighbors. On my sister's recommendation I started using a local pest control operative. He comes 4 times per year at $75 per trip, and treats inside and out with a variety of controls, depending on weather, etc. My bug problems have gone away.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

1 recommendation

reply to cypherstream
Sugar and boric acid. Try it before the nasty chemicals, it's much safer and cheaper. Let the ants eat/take the bait to the nest, it will kill them slowly. Takes about 1 week to see the results though.

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11

1 edit
reply to cypherstream
We have a 30' hosta bed along the one side of the house. The only window on that side is the smaller kitchen window above the sink about 10 feet up.
And had a major ant problem in the kitchen.
Had treated with a variety of things, many bags of the treated pellets and got some control but would always come back and need another bag applied.
Problem solved when I got the Sevin concentrate in the bottle that attaches to the hose and sprayed the entire bed.
I usually re-treat yearly, haven't this year so far because no kitchen problem so I'm hoping I can forego it this year.
Doesn't mean I have no ants, they are everywhere I look outside.. in the gardens, on the paths. When the rain stops being frequent, I'll get the spreader out and use the treated pellets in the spreader to see if I can knock them down some and keep Sevin in reserve for the big problem.

Only suggestion is to make notes and keep a record.
There are not a lot of different chemicals but there are many different product brands.
Keep a record of what you use/try and the ingredient. If you have to re-treat, get a product with a different active ingredient for the next attempt. It helps when you are in a store and see a brand that you have never seen before. You have a record, and check your list and see if you have failed with that ingredient several times in the past, or if it is in fact something different to try and you can price compare because it may be a cheaper way of getting that ingredient. Eventually you will have a handle on what you need to do and when and how.

Edit- just saw the above post for boric acid. I like boric acid. It is the absolutely safest indoors, and I just used several pounds of it outside. I laid about 30' of cedar mulch under a row of leyland cypress and had some termite/ant concerns. Researched the "termite-treated" expensive mulch and found out that it was nothing more than mulch treated with boric acid. So found 99.x% boric acid marketed as roach killer, online it was maybe $16 for a pound. Walgreens had it at $4.99, but I found 5oz bottles at a local dollar store, and bought them out
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

dafella

join:2002-07-27
Blue Springs, MO
reply to cowboyro
I can confirm that This works

btw: Boric acid can be found at any Walmart in the area of laundry products.

I used syrup with a little water added. If the bait is to sticky the ants will get trapped and can't take it back to the nest.

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
reply to cypherstream
Almost any product that contains chlorpyrifos such as Dursban if applied properly will control ants safely.

This is a product we use which is similar to the consumer version of the clay based Dursban product, applications last about 6 months.

»www.rainbowtech.net/catalog.php?···2&cat=58

You could also apply a water based application which will also last about 6 months depending on the amount of rain you receive.

Wayne
--
If you cannot fix it with a buttset and some beanies you ain't a technician

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to cypherstream
Thanks for all the good suggestions. My landlord and I are going to try a few things mentioned here and we'll see how it goes. We have the Terro products out, but theres just so many outside that it's going to take a few weeks of the ants harvesting this stuff to kill all of them. Were looking for a quicker, longer term solution, and some of the stuff here looks pretty good.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
reply to cypherstream
I had a similar fire ant problem, and I tried all the standard remedies, the final remedy I used was pinesol.
Worked great, and made the back porch smell pine fresh.
Used for cleaning inside also keeps away the bugs.
--
www.pointofexistence.com

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by Daarken:

I had a similar fire ant problem, and I tried all the standard remedies, the final remedy I used was pinesol.
Worked great, and made the back porch smell pine fresh.
Used for cleaning inside also keeps away the bugs.
It's a well known fact that bugs don't like to clean. When ask to do so, they will leave and not come back.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to cypherstream
Termidor SC

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to cypherstream
We have had ants, about once a year. I use Triacide granuals around the outside where we see them. Put some in the lawn as well where I see the little hills pop up. Works every time, fast as well.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"