join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

4 edits
reply to funchords

Re: People don't know what a GB is...

said by funchords:

said by expert007:

This is quite obvious a predatory tactic though and it will come to a head at some point.
Just to illustrate this further, this page here is 56 KB -- and at AT&T's roaming rates in Canada (which are $0.015 per KB) means that every time your computer loads the page costs about a dollar (or just under a dollar).
$.84

Good incentive to use text based web sites designed for mobile use. Like this:
»tkjunkmail.googlepages.com/mobilelinks

Besides, the text based web pages show the info you need much faster and are much easier to read on those smartphone screens.

""http: //text.dslreports.com/""
4.5 KB approx $.07
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

MrMaster
jetsetter
Premium
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI

said by FFH:

said by funchords:

said by expert007:

This is quite obvious a predatory tactic though and it will come to a head at some point.
Just to illustrate this further, this page here is 56 KB -- and at AT&T's roaming rates in Canada (which are $0.015 per KB) means that every time your computer loads the page costs about a dollar (or just under a dollar).
$.84

Good incentive to use text based web sites designed for mobile use. Like this:
»tkjunkmail.googlepages.com/mobilelinks

»/
4.5 KB approx $.07
not really. It goes to show you how much a ripoff data roaming rates are.
--
One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done. -Marie Curie

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Due to website bloat, it takes 20 seconds to render ebay.com on a Pentium 2 in Firefox. »m.ebay.com/ is a blink of an eye on a Pentium 2. »m.ebay.com/ is how all websites should be. 100s of KBs of JS and Flash and CSS and table layouts kill all the advances of Moore's law.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by patcat88:

Due to website bloat, it takes 20 seconds to render ebay.com on a Pentium 2 in Firefox. »m.ebay.com/ is a blink of an eye on a Pentium 2. »m.ebay.com/ is how all websites should be. 100s of KBs of JS and Flash and CSS and table layouts kill all the advances of Moore's law.
Yes.Even on my very fast home desktop PC, I often prefer many of the slimmed down mobile sites than their bloated regular web sites.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page