Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

hmm

Great, so the people who can already get the 7 Mbps, or 20 Mbps, can now get the 40 Mbps service.

Where the people who can get 1.5 Mbps service will be for ever stick at that service speed.

almaden

join:2004-03-03
Renton, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Exactly, how about finishing the 12/20Mbps deployment before embarking on another project?

I've been looking to upgrade to 12 or 20Mbps (from 7) here in the suburbs of Seattle for the last year. Qwest even had a "fiber optic" billboard advert about 2 miles from my house.

I regularly go to Qwest's "Notfiy Me when new speeds are available" webpage. Half the time it says I don't have a valid Qwest phone number, and the other half it fails to load w/o a page error.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Seattle, WA

I know, when I put my address into their website, it usually says I can only get MSN dial up, even though I have the 1.5 Mbps service on two lines. They have a poor website that hardly even loads.

cyclone_z

join:2006-06-19
Ames, IA
reply to almaden

said by almaden:

Exactly, how about finishing the 12/20Mbps deployment before embarking on another project?

I've been looking to upgrade to 12 or 20Mbps (from 7) here in the suburbs of Seattle for the last year. Qwest even had a "fiber optic" billboard advert about 2 miles from my house.
The reason why is that the big cost in deploying this new service is trenching the fiber. Offering VDSL2 where you were already offering ADSL2+ is probably as simple as adding a VDSL2 card to the remote DSLAM. In places where ADSL2+ is already being offered, the infrastructure is already in place. I doubt the VDSL deployment is negatively affecting the ADSL2+ deployment since they both require trenching fiber to the neighborhood.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Seattle, WA

Where we live most of the Qwest lines are overhead to the RTs, I see their name on most of the utility pole.

gworkman7

join:2005-10-18
Laveen, AZ
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to toby

I have had the same frustrating results from their website as well. Yesterday, I ventured out to a McDonalds with my laptop and thought I'd give their Wi-Fi service a try. My login was denied and it gave me a "System Unavailable, try again later" message. Qwest, for being a major ISP, sure needs to get their shit together when it comes to basic authentication.

cyclone_z

join:2006-06-19
Ames, IA
reply to toby

said by toby:

Where we live most of the Qwest lines are overhead to the RTs, I see their name on most of the utility pole.
Interesting. Here in Iowa, most places have the cables underground. Probably 'cause we have all those tornadoes and ice storms. But in that case, it should be cheaper for them to run fiber to you than to me.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Seattle, WA

We don't get that kind of bad weather here for the most part. Most homes are underground utilities from the RT, and over ground for the distribution.
I hope one day we'll get faster speeds too.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to toby

I still can only get the package 1.5/896 here in Urbandale. Of course, the catch in my area is that they want to downgrade you to 640/256 or lower because they are having problems they can't fix and the modems won't train properly. I'm staying with Mediacom at the very least until 7mbit becomes available.

What's more frustrating is that late last spring and summer the new tan DSL boxes started springing up everywhere around here, except for my neighborhood. I might have to fire off a letter to someone like other people were mentioning, it's inexcusable that every area in Urbandale around mine can get higher speeds but my area cannot.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...