uniqs
share rss forum feed

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

Lizard droppings in our garage

Ok, so I have gone through some websites looking at different kinds of poop in trying to determine what is in my garage, and I think I have determined its lizard poop. I was scared for a while that I might have a rat, but there isn't anything for him to eat in there, have never heard or seen anything, and the pics of rat poop lack the white part of the poop that the lizard stuff has, and we also see a ton of them outside the house and on the front porch, etc.

Our garage can get pretty cluttered, and I've found this stuff along the foundation walls in the garage, and a few on the floor.

Is there anything I can do to keep this little guys out? We're here in SC, so I am sure they run in when the doors open because its hotter than hell lately, but I don't want them pooping all over everything and God knows what they might carry. I have a 2 yr old I don't want exposed to that kinda stuff.

Anyway, do I need to call an exterminator or does anyone have some ideas??

No, we don't own a cat and that isn't an option right now.

As always, TIA
--
Let us so live that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

My Blog - Raising Connor - »raisingconnor.blogspot.com/ - updated 3/11/09

rabidmoose

join:2008-12-09
Arvada, CO

Just from some quick searching, here's what I found out:

- The lizards are most likely attracted to your garage by bugs. Get rid of the bugs, and the lizards lose their food source, and reason for being there.

- A folk remedy that seems to work is leaving a few empty eggshells around. The theory here, is that lizards are scared of birds (who eat them), and don't want to hang out at a possible nest.

- Peacock feathers are supposed to do the same thing as the eggshells, with the added benefit of being nicer to look at (but harder to find).

IMHO, I'd start with trying to get rid of bugs, and maybe laying a few feathers around the garage entrance as well.

stev32k
Premium
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Koil

My garage, the shrubs in front and back and especially a wall mounted hose reel are infested with lizards. There are several different kinds - broad headed skink, green anole, five lined skink, six-lined racerunner, and a couple I have not identified.

I find them interesting and enjoy having them around. The only time they have caused any problem was when a large (about 9") broad headed skink somehow got in the house when we had company and one of the lady's just about passed out when it ran up the arm of the chair she was setting in.

You have to keep in mind that we live about 1/4 mile from a fairly large wetland (used to be called a swamp) and the main feeder creek borders our backyard.

Here's one I call joe. He is a grown male broad headed skink and has lived in my back yard/garage for several years

Joe the broad headed skink

P.S. Those are full-sized 9" bricks to give you an idea of his size.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Koil

I don't know about lizards, but fogging your garage with any insect fogger will usually make a snake leave.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Koil

I've found the same thing in my garage. I've seen both a toad and a lizard and can't catch either one. The number of bugs is way down, so I don't care.

They're reptiles (the lizards, toads are amphibians) so the chances of you getting anything from them is pretty remote.
--
Free brown shirt for every fishy email you report - flag@whitehouse.gov

aroberti
Sarcastic? Me? Never
Premium
join:2000-12-21
Norwalk, CT

said by DataDoc:

They're reptiles (the lizards, toads are amphibians) so the chances of you getting anything from them is pretty remote.
Hmm... I thought they were salmonella carriers? Could be remembering wrong, though.

DataDoc
Premium
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by aroberti:

said by DataDoc:

Hmm... I thought they were salmonella carriers? Could be remembering wrong, though.
You're thinking of those turtles we used to be able to buy.

And the colored baby chicks.
--

stev32k
Premium
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Koil

The CDC does list reptiles as salmonella carriers:

"Salmonella may also be found in the feces of some pets, especially those with diarrhea, and people can become infected if they do not wash their hands after contact with pets or pet feces. Reptiles, such as turtles, lizards, and snakes, are particularly likely to harbor Salmonella. Many chicks and young birds carry Salmonella in their feces. People should always wash their hands immediately after handling a reptile or bird, even if the animal is healthy. Adults should also assure that children wash their hands after handling a reptile or bird, or after touching its environment."

From this site: »www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease···i.html#6

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

Cool...thanks so much guys.

I'm not quite as worried about it now, honestly...I really did think it was a rat or something. I think as long as I just blow out the garage with a blower now and again, I should be fine. The kiddo doesn't go in there that much, and supervised when he does...I just didn't know exactly what I might have to worry about. If just keeping his hands clean is the worst of it (and that he doesn't eat any of those special treats ... :shiver: ) we should be good.

I actually like the lizards, just didn't realize that crapped so much...and so big..good lord.
--
Let us so live that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

My Blog - Raising Connor - »raisingconnor.blogspot.com/ - updated 3/11/09

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Koil

Somehow I feel better about things like tornadoes and blizzards and things like that when I realize I don't have to worry about those foot-long crawling things y'all have down south....

the Grumble
Yep, I changed my name again -

join:2009-05-11
reply to Koil

If you think about it the lizards may be a good thing.

"some eat insects and small animals. There are also species of lizards that are carnivorous, and only eat animals such as other lizards, snakes and birds."

They are keeping bugs before they get inside your house and maybe even a baby mouse or two.
To me it would be worth picking up tiny poops over having bugs and mice in my house.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

Yep...I agree

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to mattmag

said by mattmag:

Somehow I feel better about things like tornadoes and blizzards and things like that when I realize I don't have to worry about those foot-long crawling things y'all have down south....
SOME parts of the south have tornadoes along WITH those foot-long crawling things.
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

hehe..I wasn't going to say anything, but its true!

The tornado situation was actually much worse when I lived in Atlanta...SC has the occasional warnings, but the actual amount that touch down seems to be much fewer.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to stev32k

I have a relatively decent tolerance for creepy crawly things, but if that hideous looking thing surprised me by climbing up the arm of my chair, usage of an AED might be in order.

mattmag See Profile, we get tornados just like in IL, too. And I would take a blizzard any day over our oh so common ice storms.

DataDoc
Premium
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

reply to Koil

said by Koil:

... I actually like the lizards, just didn't realize that crapped so much...and so big..good lord.
There's a lot of fiber in insects.

from »www.academicjournals.org/AJB/PDF···20al.pdf
--

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to Koil

I live in the tropics where lizards are very common. They come in all sizes and colors. Never heard that thet are any health risks associated with them. They are quite useful eating bugs, actually. I wouldn't worry about them. Just the opposite: a moving garage door can be quite hazardous for their health.

mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC
reply to Koil

Get a cat. My cat loves lizards.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Koil

Lizards are great pest control. They eat bugs and aren't harmful to the enviroment.

Also you might want to find out what type of lizard it is vefore you kill it.
It might be a protected species.

When I first moved to Ga, I found out quickly what roaches were. Our options were:
Spary all the time [which we did], or get a few tokay gekkos which hunt and eat roaches. At 50 bucks a tokay, we went with the powder/spray.
--
Money is not the root of all evil, looting mooching and doing nothing is. Money is just the mark of someone that workd hard to be successful.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

1 edit
reply to stev32k

That is the one thing I miss about the south, all the lizards.
We had green anoles, blue tailed skinks.
It was interesting to watch them scurry around. One winter we has 2 anoles come inside and live with us [they had set up hibernation in a potted plant]. I had fed crickets to them all winter long and released them in the late spring.
--
Money is not the root of all evil, looting mooching and doing nothing is. Money is just the mark of someone that workd hard to be successful.