JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to mrkevin

Re: Can you use ' to denote minute in time

said by mrkevin:

Yah that's not the correct way to denote time.
As stated in previous posts. The minutes (') and seconds(") refer to a measurement of distance and not time.
Therefore, 45 degrees 23' 45" W is correct

The time is: 11 43' 56" is incorrect.
Ya know, while were on the subject of that I have a question. OK I understand that 45° 23' 45" W means start at the 45° line and go west for 23 minutes and 45 seconds. But go west at what speed? I can walk and get to one point, I can run and get to another or I can drive ans get to several others depending on traffic patterns lol. Or an I even right about the "go west 23 minutes 45 seconds" part?

the Grumble
Yep, I changed my name again -

join:2009-05-11

1 edit
NM

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
Interesting, so it's the same way wenter99 See Profile described it? Or since you've edited your post have you found a better description and I should just wait and see?

the Grumble
Yep, I changed my name again -

join:2009-05-11
same!

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
He and I were typing at the same time so I didn't see his explanation till after I posted the question but it makes sense. When I read it after posting the question I figured yeah that makes sense for angles and arcs on drawings but that won't work for distance on the Earth. But then when I read your link I realized "hey the Earth is just one big arc" lol.

mrkevin
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
Premium
join:2007-08-07
Aurora, ME
reply to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

said by mrkevin:

Yah that's not the correct way to denote time.
As stated in previous posts. The minutes (') and seconds(") refer to a measurement of distance and not time.
Therefore, 45 degrees 23' 45" W is correct

The time is: 11 43' 56" is incorrect.
Ya know, while were on the subject of that I have a question. OK I understand that 45° 23' 45" W means start at the 45° line and go west for 23 minutes and 45 seconds. But go west at what speed? I can walk and get to one point, I can run and get to another or I can drive ans get to several others depending on traffic patterns lol. Or an I even right about the "go west 23 minutes 45 seconds" part?
each degree is divided into 60 minutes and subdivided into seconds, ect.
Each degree is roughly 69 miles apart.
So traveling 69 MPH for an hour would bring you to the next degree.

This is applying the latitude and longitude as a time measurement but it would be unpractical to find a position this way
--
An army of sheep led by a lion, will always defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
said by mrkevin:

each degree is divided into 60 minutes and subdivided into seconds, ect.
Each degree is roughly 69 miles apart.
So traveling 69 MPH for an hour would bring you to the next degree.

This is applying the latitude and longitude as a time measurement but it would be unpractical to find a position this way
And for latitude, it doesn't apply unless you're at the equator.