join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5

Re: 1000/1024 difference?

said by FFH5:

said by Guspaz:

ISPs tend to measure your usage in gigabytes (1000), while I believe Tomato records usage in gibibytes (1024). Hence if Tomato shows you as having used 1024MiB in a day, then Cogeco would show you as having used 1074MB.
Good catch. And who says Tomato software is always guaranteed 100% accurate. Who is verifying their process.
And accurate at what point? The Internet doesn't guarantee delivery of any packet. So a packet that is measured as it passes point A may be dropped before reaching its measuring point at Point C.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- District of Columbia -- KJ7RL
Evil does seek to maintain power by suppressing the truth, or by misleading the innocent. --Spock and McCoy stardate 5029.5

k1ll3rdr4g0n

join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

1 recommendation

said by funchords:

said by FFH5:

said by Guspaz:

ISPs tend to measure your usage in gigabytes (1000), while I believe Tomato records usage in gibibytes (1024). Hence if Tomato shows you as having used 1024MiB in a day, then Cogeco would show you as having used 1074MB.
Good catch. And who says Tomato software is always guaranteed 100% accurate. Who is verifying their process.
And accurate at what point? The Internet doesn't guarantee delivery of any packet. So a packet that is measured as it passes point A may be dropped before reaching its measuring point at Point C.
And to add on to this point:
TCP can retransmit packets, which means that if the ISP drops the packet (accidentally or purposefully) that means that the client would have to send out another one (or several) thus using more bandwidth.
Or even the ISP could be counting malicious packets of random hackers trying to get into your computer, which in my opinion is fraud because it's data that you don't want and never generated yourself. But, then if we start making that argument we could all end up in walled-garden internet "for our own safety".

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
I agree the following 'could' be used against you for profit by ISPs:

1. UDP flood (its connectionless)
2. viral software / malware (even that provided by ISP) - not their fault, but ISP's 'could' pay off others to push content (UDP stream) to your device just to obtain revenue.
3. Botnet flood - can't really do much.

With metered billing, you _really_ need some form of acurate guage, and a method to shut down before you hit the mega $$ overages.

Eg. if someone left a bittorren running, or streaming site open, you could have a really big bill.
--
Canada = Hollywood North