join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

6 recommendations

Reason # 1 to stop drinking

If anyone remembers my thread last winter, regarding I need support to stop drinking so much.

Well, to be honest. That no drinking lasted about 2 weeks.

A few months ago, I had to renew a prescription. I got a note saying I need to make an appointment with my doctor, so I made one.

Last year she told me I need to make an appointment for more test, because she was concerned about elevated something or other. I never did that....

But during my recent visit (last week) she reviled to me that what she was concerned about was "Serum Total Bilirubin Elevated" ...... i.e.: My liver is showing some sings of problems. I was honest with her about my drinking beers, and how many. She mentioned that it PROBABLY the cause of the problem. But I need to go back as soon as possible for more testis to make a firm determination for the cause of the elevated Serum Total Bilirubin.

However, the bottom line is she told me I absolutely must stop drinking ANY alcohol. It is that, or face possible death from liver failure.

So once again, I please ask for your support and prayers while I get through this.

2-18-2011: »My sister

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

1 recommendation

You got it!

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

said by usa2k:

You got it!
That for sure, here also.

Vtblues
if you can't get out of it, get in to it
Premium
join:2006-05-29
Brookfield, VT

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
You never lost my support or prayers, seek help if needed. I know how tough it can be to quit having done so 25 years ago myself. Rarely does one succeed on their first try. I admire your honesty in this
--
I'm folding and crunching to try to help prevent stories like »Update on my son who has cancer

Stooges Fan
Premium
join:2002-10-18

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
Take it one day at time my friend. I will keep you in my prayers.
--
For Duty And Humanity

mig
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-26
Anytown, USA

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
On the way!

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
You got it. And PLEASE, listen to the Doctor.

ehansman
He's Back - KIMI 2012
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-21
Over Here

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
I was wondering how you were doing. I am sorry to hear your liver is having some problems, but I am PROUD of you for going to the doctor and being honest with her. I certainly hope she can help you find the help and support you need to supplement the support and encouragement you'll always find here....
Take care of yourself, DK. (hugs)
--
Folding for cures - join us! »folding.stanford.edu (Team 4)

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
Hang in there, Kat!
You can totally recover from this, if you stop pouring alcohol on your liver!

Human liver can, and does repair it's self, if you do jus' a minimal amount to help it along.
What could that be?

Flood it with pure water!
Leave the beer & alcohol drinks alone, as your Dr has advised!

You can do this, and you have my support, and prayers.
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.
It's easy, just ask!

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
I guess this will give you an extra incentive to keep you motivated. And you know that we'll try to give you the support that you need. Take care of yourself, my feline friend!
--
Jamais le mal n’aura le dernier mot. La foi et l’amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.
- Marguerite (Maggy) Barankitse

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
I wish that you could talk to a friend of mine who received the same diagnosis and advice from his doctor. He had quit drinking for quite a while and was doing OK. One day he decided to try having a few drinks and he was never able to totally stop after having those few drinks. He spent the last few months of his life in and out of hospitals. Last February, Brian's liver failed and he died at age 52. I am sure that if he could speak to you that he would recommend that you stop and stay stopped.
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
You have to ask? Prayers & MoJo on the way!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
I too, was wondering how it was going but didn't dare bring it up. I hope you don't try and go it alone, this is something you must do and the fact that you took steps speaks that you are trying to be honest with yourself. Alchohol addiction is often tied to denial, and when people try to step in and help, anger gets in the way.

See someone, some people, don't try this alone.

And, BTW, will be praying too and ask Alain to help when she gets back from Mandaue City.

--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Put that fancy computer to good use helping to find a cure, your mom will love you for it. »Team Helix »Team Discovery

CatSnak
RIP Splashy - We miss you
Premium
join:2001-05-06
Lakeside, CA

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
You got it!

Hell if I can quit smoking after 23+ years (made past the 1 month mark last weekend) you can quit drinking!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
You're on the list: »Team Helix Members »Who is on our prayer and good thoughts list?

You have the support. You can do this, Dom.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat
Thank you everyone!
I really, really, REALLY appreciate all the support from you all.

There is nothing like being face slapped with your Doctor telling you to stop, or else!

Though I tried to stop last winter, it is IMPERATIVE that I do now.

I know there is going to be a very rough road ahead. But if I want to get healthy, I have to and will do it right this time around.

Last winter I was alone. At least this time I have the support from my co workers.....

Inchworm
butterfly wannabe
Premium
join:2002-04-18
Bozeman, MT

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
As of today, you are on my daily prayer list!

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
Redford, MI

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
Don't be surprised if some friends seem to lose interest in you. Drinkers like drinking buddies. Some might like designated drivers though. Its not really ever anything personal though, you might just remind them of their own weaknesses.

If you meet peer pressure that works against quitting, you may have to be selective of friends to shield you from temptation. If your support group, is supportive, you will stand a better fighting chance.

So glad you have not quit quitting!
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool ... Pets ... USA2K ... Join Artist-247

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
You got it, I also think you need all the support you can get..along with co-workers, online here and here

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

2 recommendations

reply to usa2k
said by usa2k:

If you meet peer pressure that works against quitting, you may have to be selective of friends to shield you from temptation. If your support group, is supportive, you will stand a better fighting chance.

Excellent advice, for anyone. Always surround yourself with people who inspire you to a higher calling. This is advice I gave my children.

"Watch where your friends are headed. If it is on a downward path, tell them you are going this way (in the way you know you should go), that they are welcome to come with you. Whether they do or not is their choice and sometimes you'll save a friend on your way, but, either way, you will be on the right track to a happier, healthier, and more fulfilling life."

One thing I know I did right with them. I taught them to have the courage to walk/stand alone when doing so is the only right way.

You can do this for yourself, Dom.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

jopfef
Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
Like everyone else here, I'm fully in support of your efforts to dump the drinking. I have always been a "one glass of wine" person when out to dinner, and have even had to give that up now because of certain medications that I take. So, hang in there, Dom -- you CAN do this!!!

(Besides, look at all the money you'll save by not buying that stuff!!!)

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat
The FULL list of what I was diagnosed with;

* Depression
* Anxiety
* Acne
* Dyslipidemia
* Serum Total Bilirubin Elevated

Not a purrrfect bill of health.

Gizmo
Trust Me I'm a Professional
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-19
In Your Mind
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

4 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
I also had to give it up......so can you!!!

Hang in there, you have my support!
--
giz~

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
You have my support DK, Prayers and MOJO heading your way. You can do this and I know you will do this..
--
You don't quit playing 'cause you're OLD. You're old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef
said by jopfef:

(Besides, look at all the money you'll save by not buying that stuff!!!)
About 300 dollars a month... give or take

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
Hopefully you will get to where I have been for the last several years: Alchohol is just Meh. Sure, microbrews have some flavor, the the alchohol part ruins it for me. I don't like the way it makes me feel, no kidding. Some of my meds are a little bad with alchohol too, so...

When alchoholism runs in your family like mine, it makes you kind of wary of the stuff.

Get healthy and take up skydiving for a buzz, heh!

You're still invited to PM if you need it. I understand, but you are not in denial to the degree that most are, which will give you a great leg up on winning!
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Put that fancy computer to good use helping to find a cure, your mom will love you for it. »Team Helix »Team Discovery

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by signmeuptoo:

When alchoholism runs in your family like mine, it makes you kind of wary of the stuff.

It runs rapid in my family.

I NEVER sipped any alcohol until I was 22. I saw what it did to people and didn't like it. But at my first "real" job, the owner and other staff members liked to go for drinks after work. I always resisted for months, then one day I went with them. That was the beginning. BUT.... I did stop for several years, until I met some friends that drank. They "talked me into" having a small party... I drank, and never stopped since and it only got worse over the years. Now I am paying for it in more ways then money spent on it, and am warned to stop, or face possible death.

I never dreamed of this getting so bad. It is true, alcohol creeps up on you very slowly and you never notice what it is slowly doing to you until it is too late.

Hopefully, it isn't too late for me. My doctor caught this. (And I didn't even WANT blood tests because they cost so much, but she insisted) So now I at least have a good chance to come out healthy again.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
Redford, MI

1 edit

1 recommendation

Re: Reason # 1 to stop drinking

I had my 1st drink at 18 (Legal age in Ontario at that time.)
Learned to like beer at my 1st job (A restaurant)

I would binge drink, then give it up ... cyclic.
Gave it up when I got married 15 years ago.
Lucky for me I could go cold turkey without any discomfort.
How I wish you could do similar!
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool ... Pets ... USA2K ... Join Artist-247

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat

Re: Reason # 1 to stop drinking

You might want to check out a local AA meeting or even on line forum(s) for more intense support.

Hopefully, you're scared enough now for drinking to lose its appeal. If you can stop wanting it, you'll have an easier time changing your habits. I know that from personal experience. Was diagnosed with cirrhosis in 1987--didn't recognize I'd become an alcoholic until then.
--
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. Albert Einstein

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
Well Dom, I had a job many years ago with a major auto rental company. I worked my way up to becoming a manager and took over the worst office in the district, and turned it around it a president's award winning office.

Bu-ut: The district manager drank, and seemed to be an alcoholic. He used to call these idiotic manager's meetings where he would rail at us like a madman and then act buddy buddy afterwards and insist that will all go out drinking with him. I didn't drink. Not a drop, and told him I could go but I don't drink, it wasn't in my religion of the time. He kept insulting me and pressuring me, told me I'd be fired if I didn't loosen up and drink.

Mind you, we drove company vehicles to and from work! I gave in because I feared for my hard won manager's position and had a single drink. I felt sick. I left as soon as I could sneak out. Not long after that I was demoted, even though I had been recognized by the president of the company for performance.

The man is the nephew of a vary famous Texas man who had a movie made about him. I couldn't stand his arrogance.

Years later, after graduating college, I called him at home, he answered drunk and I anonymously told him, thanks for firing me, it put me in college and now I am pursuing my life's dream, what are you doing. Please understand, they didn't pay us much and I was desperately trying to feed my family, working 12 to 15 hour days, 7 days a week, and just because I wouldn't break the law, I was ruined by him.

Stay away from peer pressure! Many alcoholics are in denial and can really try and shove it down your throat, whatever they will. I am so proud of you for not being like that.

Take care of yourself, you only get one life!

I, too, am lucky my doctors caught things when they did. After about 45 our lives become delicate. And Americans have some of the shortest life spans of any of the developed nations.

If I had kept smoking, taking drugs, and drinking I KNOW I'd be dead by now. My health just isn't too good. I still have hopes and dreams, aspirations and desires.
--