how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

peste196

join:2008-06-11

1 edit

Firmware update For Westell 7500

I was just looking up for firmware updates for my verizon westell 7500 A90-750015-07 and i found this page which has newer firmware than the one i got, has anyone tried this? I afraid that it my brick my router

Here is the page

»www.westell.com/index.php?option···=support

bobjbkln

@verizon.net

It might become a brick. I believe that one should only use Verizon supplied firmware for the routers.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
reply to peste196

Why do you need a firmware update?

DSLDrops

@verizon.net
reply to peste196

Hi -

I'm looking for a firmware upgrade as well, hoping it will resolve a problem I have where the connection drops off about once per day. The only solution is to turn off/on the Westell, then the connection is fine (until the next drop-off).

This only started happening when I replaced my old DSL Modem with the Westell 7500 (since I decided to change to a static IP address).

I'm about 12,000' from the CO, which they say is within range.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

DSLDrops

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Post up your transceiver stats found at »192.168.1.1/transtat.htm . That would explain the drop offs.
--
It's all fun and games in a Team Fortress 2 battle until your sentry gun is sapped by the Spycrab!

DSLDrops

@verizon.net
reply to peste196

Here are my stats, which btw are at:
»192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp

Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 5888 864
Margin (dB) 9.6 7.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 41.0 22.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 18.5 12.1

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Your problem seems to be from the sync rate being too high for your line. You're only going to get 5Mbps on that unless the line can show better results at the NID, or you get ADSL2+ which may help the line out a bit more.
--
It's all fun and games in a Team Fortress 2 battle until your sentry gun is sapped by the Spycrab!

DSLDrops

@verizon.net
reply to peste196

Ok. But I'm still not sure why it drops each day. Is there a solution?

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2

Yeah. Clean up the line as much as possible and/or have your speed dropped.

DSLDrops

@verizon.net
reply to peste196

Here's a follow-up question then. Why does the 7500 actually drop the connection, rather than trying to re-sync? Since I'm always able to re-sync by turning off/on the unit, couldn't it do it on its own (i.e. detect that it needs to re-sync and do it). Is it possible that the newer firmware actually is better at that?

If so, how does a non-Linux person get the newest firmware?

Thanks

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

I'm not sure what is going on with the fact it may not be resyncing, however it may be possible the signal is getting low enough to the point where it's losing the PPPoE connectivity. The new firmware can be installed by typically downloading a file which you can send directly to the modem.
--

DSLDrops

@verizon.net
reply to peste196

Yes, the firmware link is here:
»www.westell.com/index.php?option···=support

But it says you need Linux tools to build it. Does anyone know how to load the latest firmware in Windows?

nCrypt

join:2009-11-27

The router runs on linux, there is no windows executable. Here's what you need to do:

Download the file

Go to Advanced -> Firmware Upgrade

Locate the file on your machine using "Upgrade From a Computer in the Network"

Dun.

a907500sucks

@verizon.net

There is no .upg file in the drivers download. Can anyone with linux build it for us?