spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ronjones

join:2009-09-14

DSL keeps dropping out, coming back then dropping out again

I don't know what's going on. It's driving me nuts and I'm thinking about ditching embarq.

My internet will work fine one minute, then the next it's completely gone. Not just slowed down, the diagnostics screen for the router says "No DSL signal was found".

I've tried numerous things, run test, etc. Nothing works.

A friend says my router is going out. But its from embarq and its only about 6 or 7 months old.

Here's all the info I can provide....

A line quality test....(This is my second, the first test failed, "target IP does not respond to ICMP ping")
»/linequality/nil/2565102

****Info from my router...******

When I hit "TEST" I get ->
DSL Synchronization: No DSL signal was found
G.DMT ATM Signal: No DSL signal was found
PVC Connection: -
IP Connection: -
DNS Communication: -
My "diagnostic Screen" reads -->
Data Errors
Statistics
Collected for 3 days 3:03:39

* | Since Reset | Current 24-Hour Interval | Current 15-Minute Interval | Time Since Last Event

ATM Cell Header Errors: 827256 24679 3003 0:00:56

ATM Loss of Cell Delineation: 734386 24211 3002 0:02:48

DSL Link Retrains: 87 3 1 0:02:47

DSL Training Errors: 86 3 1 0:02:21

DSL Training Timeouts: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Framing Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Signal Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Margin Failures: 49692 404 51 0:02:48

DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds: 18492 622 54 0:00:14

DSL Severely Errored Seconds: 14763 451 51 0:02:48

DSL Corrected Blocks: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Uncorrected Blocks: 863981 26017 2995 0:00:14
Is this me or the network ?

Sometimes its not a problem. I get through the whole day fine. Other times I can barely even use the internet.

bctrainers

join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS
1) How far away are you from the CO/DSLAM?
2) What is the internet package that you have?
--
--bc

Go Tarheels
Premium
join:2006-01-05
Nashville, NC
kudos:1
reply to ronjones
No need to ditch before you exhaust your options. Contact Embarq_Joey to check out your line, as losing sync is a line issue that an end user usually can't fix on their own.

ronjones

reply to bctrainers
quote:
How far away are you from the CO/DSLAM?
I have no idea, nor do I know how to find the answer to that question.

quote:
2) What is the internet package that you have?
It's just a standard package, I average a speed of about 1.5mps which I've found decent enough to handle most of my online activities. I have seen a slow down to 200/300k before, but that's not the problem I'm talking about here. It's not a slow down, it's just gone.

ronjones

reply to Go Tarheels
quote:
Contact Embarq_Joey to check out your line, as losing sync is a line issue that an end user usually can't fix on their own.
What is "Losing sync", and what do both parties have to do to resolve it ?

njtree
Premium
join:2009-09-15

1 edit
reply to ronjones
I had this same problem several months ago. To make a long story short, it turned out to be a problem with some hardware at the local office that affected other embarq users in my area.

After my first report, the connection was ok for a few days then the problem with dropped connections came back. I called embarq back, the problem was fixed for a few days then the dropped connections came back. I called back, telling them that I had replaced all the filters on my phone lines, and replaced my five year old modem with a new one. The embarq rep immediately kicked it up to level two support.

After getting kicked up to level two support, there was a period of about three weeks, when the embarq engineers were remotely to reset the hardware. During this time my connection would be ok for a few days before going out again. They finally switched out the defective hardware and installed the new hardware in the local office. A few days later the engineer called me up and gave me a report about what the problem was

Embarq gave me a credit for two months of service

I'd go with the recommendation to send a im to embarq joey.

CTL_Joey

join:2008-09-22
kudos:22
reply to ronjones
Ron, if you send me your number I can check it out for you.