Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

bbinabox

join:2009-02-27
Louisville, KY
kudos:1
reply to grohgreg

Re: One-Way vs Two-way Satellite Systems

1) That's how the technology is defined. If you don't like my answer it obviously was a good answer because you were setting me up for one of your great 'come backs' just to show me how much more you know about all things. Birdman has gotten into this act himself. Fun for the 2 of you but boring for me and I assume many other people around here. YAAAWNNNN.

2) Well that's all I have. I've already told you that I haven't touched a DirecPC/Way/Hughes/Net since 2000. I am waiting on a head to head review of a Hybrid technology system VS. a HughesNet system. I really don't know which modem it is, haven't they changed the modem over 9 times already in 9 years? Can't get it right yet huh? I am sure I will know more once I get the results. I will keep you posted.
3.&4. Their initial contracts were all military. They morphed the platform into a consumer brand hence all of the headaches and trouble.

bbinabox

join:2009-02-27
Louisville, KY
kudos:1
More on 3&4). from the Google search I deflected and linked above.

With “every component proprietary to Hughes,” as Dorfman said, the satellites only cost some $ 150 million apiece.
Source: »www.gilder.com/public/telecosm_s···ere.html

Brand Name Justification: associated network equipment to be used with this gateway and terminal equipment is compatible only with the Hughes modem technology and proprietary communications protocol. Other brand equipment would render the associated network equipment inoperable.
Source: »www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&···&au=&ck=

The payment resolves assertions by Hughes, the world's largest satellite maker, that from 1963 to 1982 the Government used the company's proprietary technology without permission.
Source: »www.nytimes.com/1999/04/03/busin···ent.html (this is regarding the feds paying them over $154 Million due to a using their proprietary technology which they had a patent on!!!)

Company officials, during a press conference in Washington, D.C., said an open satellite broadband standard was important for the satellite industry to encourage development in the satellite broadband industry. Until now, most satellite broadband providers have been using proprietary standards in their satellite systems, said Pradman Kaul, chairman and chief executive officer of Hughes Network Systems, based in Germantown, Maryland. "This has lead to systems that do not talk to each other," Kaul said of the proprietary standards.
Source: »www.infoworld.com/t/networking/h···dard-760 ( I learned something from this read, maybe they are opening up here, maybe they will start using International open standards. Maybe just maybe, their solutions may start delivering advertised speeds. Pffft. It's Hughes, they'll never learn.)

That's it for now GG.

Have a great evening everybody!!!

Thomas-

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits
reply to bbinabox
said by bbinabox:

2) Well that's all I have. I've already told you that I haven't touched a DirecPC/Way/Hughes/Net since 2000.
Well, I guess that pretty much says it all then.
said by bbinabox:

I learned something from this read
That's progress. I'm just sorry that it takes such direct confrontation to force such realizations

For your further edification, here's a direct quote from their HN7000S and HN9000 modem spec sheets: "Hughes satellite products are based on the IPoS (IP over Satellite) global standard approved by TIA, ETSI, and ITU". The only thing proprietary are the acceleration techniques used (primarily in the NOCs) to overcome the effects of latency over the satellite path. Wildblue has their own proprietary set, as does Wildblue, iDirect, etc. Their publications very likely carry similar statements.

I'm making this point, because Skyway has not seen fit to invest in such technology - which is the other side of your "proprietary technology" coin - and which also goes a long way explaining why they can sell their service for as low as $30/month.

//greg//
--
HN7000S/98cm Prodelin/2w Osiris/ProPlus - G16/1250H/Germantown - NAT 66.82.187.152/Gateway 66.82.25.10/DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2009

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to bbinabox
said by bbinabox:

The payment resolves assertions by Hughes, the world's largest satellite maker, that from 1963 to 1982 the Government used the company's proprietary technology without permission.
Source: »www.nytimes.com/1999/04/03/busin···ent.html (this is regarding the feds paying them over $154 Million due to a using their proprietary technology which they had a patent on!!!)
If your definition of "proprietary" is patented inventions then you must know that ALL satellite technology, including yours, is or once was proprietary.

You chose to go back into a time when HEC was IT in the manufacture and deployment of satellites! The remnants of that part of the company is now owned by Boeing Space (manufacture) and Intelsat (deployment/ownership), and they are responsible for a great deal of the hardware that is up there. Yes, I know, AMC15 which you and I both use was built by Lockheed, but it uses a lot of that same "proprietary" stuff that is no longer under patent!

The current company named Hughes has virtually nothing in common with HEC except the first word in the name.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 105W or 121W, .74 meter G74 on 83W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Sprint Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of PC-OPI and DSSatTool