aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

2 edits
reply to Spatch

Re: Does anyone use these?

said by Spatch:

I have recently switched back to Comcast after a couple of years of satellite. I have a media center pc that does not receive all channels. I see it installed into a pc in the pic. Would this allow reception of all the channels on my media center pc? I have never heard of this.
I use eight cable cards with FIOS. When I had Comcast I was using six cable cards with them.

For the PC you need to get this.
»gizmodo.com/5357722/cetons-cable···one-slot

It can handle up to six tuners with one multistream cable card. They will be out early next year and will be in high demand.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
However, Windows MCE only supports 4 streams. Special OEM versions of Windows will support 6 streams.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
reply to aaronwt
From the article

"The official launch is 2010, so we won't be seeing these cards for a little while yet, so there's time for the networks to collaborate to make and air six shows that are worth recording in the same time slot."

Cool gadget, but I honestly can't think of any instance where there is 6 programs simultaneously on air that I just HAVE to watch.

Quite frankly, I often have trouble finding one program worth watching, let alone 6!
--
Petty people are disproportionably corrupted by petty power…

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

2 edits
said by N3OGH:

From the article

"The official launch is 2010, so we won't be seeing these cards for a little while yet, so there's time for the networks to collaborate to make and air six shows that are worth recording in the same time slot."

Cool gadget, but I honestly can't think of any instance where there is 6 programs simultaneously on air that I just HAVE to watch.

Quite frankly, I often have trouble finding one program worth watching, let alone 6!
I sometimes have ten to twelve recordings going on from HD channels. IT doesn't happen too often but the norm for me is 3 to 6 HD recordings at once.

Even back in 2001 I sometimes had a couple of shows on in HD that needed to be recorded. But back then only 40% to 45% of what I watched was HD.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
said by aaronwt:

I sometimes have ten to twelve recordings going on from HD channels.
...You must have a lot of viewers in your house to be able to watch all of that content.

AstroBoy

join:2008-08-08
Parkville, MD
reply to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by Spatch:

I have recently switched back to Comcast after a couple of years of satellite. I have a media center pc that does not receive all channels. I see it installed into a pc in the pic. Would this allow reception of all the channels on my media center pc? I have never heard of this.
I use eight cable cards with FIOS. When I had Comcast I was using six cable cards with them.

For the PC you need to get this.
»gizmodo.com/5357722/cetons-cable···one-slot

It can handle up to six tuners with one multistream cable card. They will be out early next year and will be in high demand.
That is so cool! I hope someone will have Linux drivers!

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
kudos:1
AstroBoy,

Not going to happen. Linux would need some changes and DRM support for CableCard. Plus they would have to get it certified. However, Broadcom devices run Linux and they're certified but they're embedded STB's that run some mixture of proprietary and Open Source software.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

1 edit
reply to openbox9
said by openbox9:

said by aaronwt:

I sometimes have ten to twelve recordings going on from HD channels.
...You must have a lot of viewers in your house to be able to watch all of that content.
I was thinking the same thing! I'm a gadget nut myself, but that seems like overkill.
--
You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to rv65
said by rv65:

Not going to happen. Linux would need some changes and DRM support for CableCard.
Or just someone to reverse engineer the windows drivers like they did for pretty much every Broadcom card that's currently supported...

/mackey

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
Actually they should reverse engineer a linux STB that uses a BCM chip. They might be able to work it out. Though mythtv and other Linux HTPC software developers have no interest in adding CC support.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
As long as they make it secure and not break the cableco encryption then it should be fine.