Search similar:

uniqs

el scorcho
Cupid Stunt
join:2000-12-01
Brooklyn, NY

el scorcho

For those of you who can't update Office XP to SP1

helping to update some OfficeXP installations to SP1 proved erratic at best. in some instances it worked, in others it didn't (with some vague error message popping up). a couple of my friends think this might have something to do with running any pre-SP1 patch on OfficeXP before you tried the service pack. in anycase, i got fedup tonight and decided to fix it by hand.

for those who don't know, 'slipstreaming' is a term whereby you take your original installation CD and create a new copy with all the latest patches installed. in this case i decided to 'slipstream' my Office XP installation CD to SP-1. i've also done this with Windows2000 so i won't need to install any SP packs (at least until SP-3 comes out).

creating a Slipstream OfficeXP SP-1 CD:
1. download the administrative version of the SP-1 pack (30 megs - here
2. run the installation file and extract the files to C:\OfficeXPSP1
3. put your OfficeXP CD in your drive. go to the Run menu (start>Run...) and type D:\Setup.exe /a, where you replace D: with your CD-ROM drive containing the CD.
4. make the administrative installation to C:\OfficeXP
5. from the run command again, type this in - msiexec /a C:\OfficeXP\proplus.msi /p C:\OfficeXPSP1\MAINSP1_Admin.msp SHORTFILENAMES=1
6. if you have a CD-Burner, burn the files inside the OfficeXP folder to a CD for your brand-new OfficeXP installation CD. if you don't have a cd-burner, just run the installation from your hard-drive.
7. you now have an installation version of OfficeXP with SP-1 already integrated into the files. Deinstall your current OfficeXP (save documents and export any emails you want to save), and reinstall OfficeXP using your newly created installation files (using either the copy your burned, or the one in C:\OfficeXP). after that's done, the rest of the files are safe to delete. double check that everything worked by going to the help menu in any office application and choosing about. make sure there's the SP-1 suffix and you're all set

hope this works out well for you guys. i finally have a copy of OfficeXP at home that is SP-1, and it's a good feeling if you need more help, feel free to ask.
[text was edited by author 2002-01-25 04:27:37]

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

Nice tip scorcho!

DJMAV
join:2001-02-13
San Leandro, CA

DJMAV to el scorcho

to el scorcho
Thanks Scorcho. Using Nero, how would you burn the data from the C:\OFFICEXP folder, an ISO or as a UDF type CD?

Sorry but I new to the burning stuff. Thanks

el scorcho
Cupid Stunt
Brooklyn, NY

el scorcho

take all the files in the C:\OfficeXP folder and burn it to a cd like a regular data cd. make sure that the root directory in the cd contains the Autostart file (along with everything else it's with).
WareWolF2k
join:2000-11-14
Allentown, PA

WareWolF2k

Good tip Scorcho.... however you might want to investigate on those machines that would not update if there is a problem with DMA on the CD-ROM. (If you have the time/ambition and a spare HD available try to install a fresh copy of Windows & office XP, then install SP1). I had a friend who had a brand new machine a year or so ago and we tried to install office 2000 (then the latest version of office) and then SP1 for office 2000... after THREE tries of wiping out everything, installing win 98 fresh then installing o2k & Sp1 we got it to "take". later on after that I figured out the problem was his computer did not "like" to have DMA turned on for the CD-ROM. If you turn off DMA then office & sp1 would install right every time but if you turn on DMA office would still install, not saying a thing about any errors, but then when you want to install SP1 it would fail. I verified what was happening by buring a VERY LARGE .zip file with alot of small files and doing a test-extract on this zip file. With DMA on the zip file would give random errors on some files almost every time, would not be the same files either! If you turn off DMA the zip would test 100% every time. After figureing out this was happening I figure that SP1 must do a CRC check on all the files its updating and if it finds a bad one it stops. Apparently the ORIGINAL install program does not verify ANYTHING when it installs.

I have seen flaky DMA operation like this on a few different systems one with intel 810 and a few with via chipset motherboards, also I had a similar problem on a old pentium 133 gateway laptop that would not work properly until I disabled the CPU cache-although it would happen on HD reads too. (However I had no docs on the laptop so I dont even know if it HAD any cache memory installed - many older 486 & pentium laptops did not come with cache memory)

WareWolF

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to el scorcho

Premium Member

to el scorcho
Thanks for the tip Scorcho. I've also found that the procedure that is listed on Notoriousnetworks.com works well, but it's good to have this one here . Thank god I finally got that SP1 in there .

Again, great work scorcho!

el scorcho
Cupid Stunt
Brooklyn, NY

el scorcho to WareWolF2k

to WareWolF2k
a DMA issue? that's odd. haven't had a chance yet to check them out since i gave my friend the OfficeXP SP-1 CD this morning to have a go at it.

Office XP installs fine, it's just the updating to SP-1 from the application on the harddrive messes it up (stating that there's a corrupt file on the c DRIVE somewhere). this same error message appears in every invalid update attempt.

the benefit of doing this slipstreaming is the now by default, all your OfficeXP installations are shown the administrator screen by default. you can update/install/configure all your PCs through a network install w/o much hassle.
fpresty
join:2001-01-18
Atlanta, GA

fpresty to el scorcho

to el scorcho
Thanks Scorcho, you made it easy!
aatucker
join:2000-03-10
Belton, MO

aatucker to el scorcho

to el scorcho
scorcho,

Great post.

For Win2k, MS calls this process "Integrated Install". You get a nice clean install when using this procedure. When SPx comes out, we get to make another CD .

Allen T.

BulldogXTRM
BulldogXTRM
Premium Member
join:2001-09-28
Gonzales, LA

BulldogXTRM to el scorcho

Premium Member

to el scorcho
thanks scorcho it worked beautifully