Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

This was in the comment section of WSJ piece

"Google should not block calls to rural areas. Today's rural residents tend to be older, and such blocking makes it harder for their children, many of whom moved off the farm long ago, to maintain communications with their parents. Such communication keeps up the spirits of elderly rural residents and is an important tool their children use to monitor their parents health.

Google and other Internet and telephone companies should be allowed the flexibility to use reasonable network and other management tools to improve the efficiency of networks and services, but blocking phone calls to our parents and grandparents who still live on the farm is over the line and should be prohibited by the FCC.

Bruce Hahn
President
American Homeowners Grassroots Alliance "

»online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···Darticle

Hook, line and sinker!
--
»www.seabee.navy.mil

chimera

join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC
I wonder if they had to pay him, or if he's just that inept.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42
I would imagine that Mr. Hahn and his homeowner's alliance is just one of hundreds of groups who parrot whatever they're told to in exchange for new AT&T-funded events centers or donations. The co-opting of pseudo-legitimate organizations to parrot policy positions is a booming business.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Karl Bode:

The co-opting of pseudo-legitimate organizations to parrot policy positions is a booming business.
Turning these groups into quasi-Astroturfers paid with soft-dollars?
--
They vilify us, the scoundrels do, when there is only this difference, they rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42

2 edits

1 recommendation

Absolutely. It's what companies like Amplify Public Affairs do for a living. You (a corporation) pays them, they in turn coordinate pseudo-grass roots campaign using everything from completely bogus consumer groups to co-opted pseudo-legitimate groups looking for money.

The result is this broad wash of artificial "consumer" support for a company policy that just wouldn't naturally exist.

AT&T and Verizon are masters of this stuff. So are Microsoft and Comcast, who use groups like the National Corn Grower's Association to also attack Google. For all their faults, I don't believe Google's gotten into co-opting legitimate groups for smear purposes yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

NOVA_Guy
ObamaCare Kills Americans
Premium
join:2002-03-05
reply to caco
Two can play at the game that Mr. Hahn has started, though. How about this as a response?

AT&T should not make long distance and local telephone so expensive to rural areas. Today's rural residents tend to be older, and such expensive monopolistic pricing make it harder on their health, which in many cases requires more medication and more frequent doctor visits than years ago. In addition, most of these people are on a fixed income, and rely heavily upon minimal Social Security payments to get by. Having to choose between eating something other than dog food for dinner and affording a telephone line is not something that AT&T should force these elderly people to do.

AT&T needs to be concerned about the needs of these seniors, and their children. In many cases, the children have moved off the farm and out of town long ago. They need to maintain communications with their parents. Not being able to do this with an affordable telephone plan prevents them from being able to keep up the spirits of elderly rural residents, and denies these senior citizens access to an important tool their children use for monitoring their health.

AT&T and other baby bell companies should be allowed the flexibility to use reasonable pricing and quality management tools to provide access to those who desperately need it. Preventing phone access through high prices to our parents and grandparents who still live on the farm is over the line and should be prohibited by the FCC.

A concerned citizen
Resident, the United States
--
Nobel peace prize for Obammer... Now he's got one more thing in common with Arafat besides hating America. And he's just as succesful as Jimmy "the failure" Carter.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Karl Bode
I don't think Google will need to co-opt interests, however they probably have enough legitimate (non-bribed/non-co-opted) support.

Not being a Google follower I don't really keep up with its activities (only what I read here) but I'm wondering how long it will take for Google to really lay the smack down and crush an entity to make a point.
--
They vilify us, the scoundrels do, when there is only this difference, they rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
reply to Karl Bode
Can Google even do smearing?

Their company motto is "Do no evil."

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

2 edits
Yes. The sad thing is that the way the game is played that if you don't get all crazy and hire a ton of lobbyist, your competitors will and next thing you know, your legislated into going out of business. Says more about our congresss than anything else.
--
»www.seabee.navy.mil

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
its sad that taking the higher road is what gets you killed.

Michael C

join:2009-06-26
Cedar Park, TX

1 edit
reply to caco
Google is neither an ISP nor a phone company, so what does network management and Net Neutrality have to do with anything Google does with it's software or services? You can't use Google Voice without some other telephone service, so if you don't like what Google does, then here's a thought....why don't you just make a normal phone call to your grandparents on the farm? Google has no problem with you doing that, and isn't at all blocking you from using your phone without Google Voice.

On a side note, if you don't like ANY of Google's software or services, just go use another. There's tons of them out there and you have plenty of choices, unlike the choices you have with ISPs and phone companies.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
reply to NOVA_Guy
said by NOVA_Guy:

Two can play at the game that Mr. Hahn has started, though. How about this as a response?

AT&T should not make long distance and local telephone so expensive to rural areas.
Except that it's small, regional/local phone operations that are making it expensive. Were it AT&T, they'd have no reason to hate pumping as they'd be the ones with the revenue center. But, since they have to pay out to the pumpers, they'd cut them off if they had the legal leeway to do so.
--
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to caco
"Hook, line and sinker!".

Yeah, but you should say it like the German Guy in "Die Hard 3"

Houek, Leinn und Zinker!
--
Petty people are disproportionably corrupted by petty power…

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

its sad that taking the higher road is what gets you killed.
Exactly the crooks will get you in the end.

But if you just rolled over and crushed someone nobody liked anyways, just to show you meant business... it might be a different story.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to caco
ATT/Verizon should just stop sending calls to these ripoff telcos for a few days and claim it was a switch issue. see how the ripoff pumpers do with a few days of no free money.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Rogue Wolf
Ate the Leftover Chicken You Had Saved

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY
reply to caco
Well, if we simply removed money from the political system and forced politicians to use regulated governmental funds to campaign, a lot of this would go away and politicians would once more feel the yoke of the voters' will rather than corporations'.

Of course, that would require politicians to be honest and do what's best for the country and their constiutents. I'd expect that to happen about a month after cold fusion, peace in the Middle East and the discovery of the Fountain of Youth.
--
Hexadecimal humor really turns me 0FF.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast
said by Rogue Wolf:

Well, if we simply removed money from the political system and forced politicians to use regulated governmental funds to campaign, a lot of this would go away and politicians would once more feel the yoke of the voters' will rather than corporations'.

Of course, that would require politicians to be honest and do what's best for the country and their constiutents. I'd expect that to happen about a month after cold fusion, peace in the Middle East and the discovery of the Fountain of Youth.
you forgot the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Radioman991

join:2001-09-24
Dayton, OH
reply to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

Can Google even do smearing?

Their company motto is "Do no evil."
The Borg does PLENTY of evil. Been there. Lived it. Seen it.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
reply to caco
let me see if i can put this into terms that Brucey boy can understand...

hey you freakin' moron! you have to actually have a wireless phone to put the google voice app on or get to the google voice web page! if you can't get to the phone number in the rural area using GV, just use your phone's default dialer. AMAZING CONCEPT!!!
--
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and i'm all outta bubblegum.