spc
uniqs
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

1 edit

WernerSchutz to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: What independent competitors. Sheesh.

said by ISurfTooMuch:

said by KrK:

Talk about missing the point....
That's the thing. There is so much vertical integration within the cable industry that programmers not owned or at least partly owned by a company that also owns cable systems have an extremely hard time getting carriage. And even if there's a cable company that would agree to carry them, the cable systems still have finite capacity, and if you have the big programmers demanding that all their channels get carriage, then there's little room to add anything else.
All this talking about a la carte programming would be zero if the actual cable bill would be reasonable. If you would pay CC $20/month for 100 channels nobody would care. It is the greed of CC and providers that brought us $80/mo bills, "extra "bundles", DVR fees and all that crap that makes people look for ways to rein in this GREED.

I could care less if they put another 1000 "niche" channels, including religious, sports crap, Hindu, Chinese, Hispanic, Jewish and all that stuff. I still watch basically the few channels I was watching 20 years ago.

The a la carte discussion is just a diversion from high prices and lack of competition. Have Congress do their job, break the huge trust that CC has become, allow competition and things would be better for the average person.

Have this "precious" niche broadcasters that nobody cares to watch broadcast over the Internet. Yeah, get also rid of that pesky 250 GB cap that is created EXACTLY to stifle that competition and protect this huge cash cow of a monthly bill. Funny how that works out when you follow the money trail.

Yeah, cue in 3,2,1 the astro turfers to tell me I do not know what I am talking about.
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco

Premium Member

You don't know what your talking about.

Comcast isn't the only one that offers tv service.

So $ 20 bucks for 100 channels. Good luck getting Espn,Nick, HBO etc..to accept .20 for their channel per subscriber.

Bundles and dvr are not forced on anyone.

Let me go add some miracle-gro to my turf.
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz

said by caco:

You don't know what your talking about.

Comcast isn't the only one that offers tv service.

So $ 20 bucks for 100 channels. Good luck getting Espn,Nick, HBO etc..to accept .20 for their channel per subscriber.

Bundles and dvr are not forced on anyone.

Let me go add some miracle-gro to my turf.
Extensive mergers should also be prevented:

1. CC buying everything is sight

2. DirecTV buying USSB and then trying to merge with DishNetwork

I see the neat duopoly as in cable or DSL providers for Internet access being nicely replicated soon with the neat duopoly cable or one sat. company.

Yeah, sure there is dial up and OTA. Funny how in countries where legislators are doing their job the prices for these services are within reason (Europe or Asia).