spc
Search similar:

uniqs

YesNM
@comcast.net

YesNM

Anon

Oven cleaner in a self cleaning oven

A new housekeeper sprayed my self-cleaning over with oven cleaner today. After I freaked, I made her wipe it out and rinse well, but it had probably been in there for 20-30 min. Now what? What bad things will happen now? Is my oven ruined? Is there anything else I should do to the oven? Help!

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

As long as the oven cleaner was safe for self cleaning ovens (I think most are anymore), you probably way overreacted. I've always had better luck with easy-off than with the "self clean" mode. In fact, I don't use the "self clean" at all anymore because chemical cleaner does a better job.

JohnnyG101
Mafiaoso
Premium Member
join:2000-12-25
Charlotte, NC

JohnnyG101 to YesNM

Premium Member

to YesNM
It's fine...

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

1 recommendation

jack b to YesNM

MVM

to YesNM
Apologize to the housekeeper.

Hiker
Zeus
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Pipersville

Hiker

Premium Member

said by jack b:

Apologize to the housekeeper.
Ditto.
cnyguy
join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY

1 recommendation

cnyguy to YesNM

to YesNM
Put a turkey in and send it to me. I'll let you know if the oven is ok.
K Patterson
Premium Member
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH

K Patterson to YesNM

Premium Member

to YesNM
There are, or were, two kinds of self cleaning ovens.

One has a smooth interior and cleans by heating to a high temperature.

The otheer uses catalytic frit, and I'm not sure these are made any more. The interior is rough. If you spray them with cleaner, I would guess that could be a problem.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to YesNM

Premium Member

to YesNM
The other type of "self cleaning" ovens were called continuous clean.

If you sprayed a harsh cleaner on the continuous clean surface, well you are toast!

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to YesNM

Premium Member

to YesNM
said by YesNM :

A new housekeeper sprayed my self-cleaning over with oven cleaner today. After I freaked....
Is that why she's a NEW housekeeper? Did you freak out on the old one too? lol

It's probably fine.
Funny you should mention self-cleaning ovens though....I happen to have my owners manual out (had to order a new bake element), and my manual says:
"Do not use oven cleaners or oven protective coatings in or around any part of the self-cleaning oven".
Problem is, they don't really tell you why.
(And this oven is only 4 years old).

I've always heeded the warning...well, just because.
But to be honest with you, I'd love to use an oven cleaner...it's a real PITA trying to remove "excess spills" before a cleaning cycle with regular soap and water, as they suggest.

yesNM
@comcast.net

yesNM

Anon

For those of you who told me to apologize, I didn't freak out at the woman. It was more of an inside panic. The service sent 2 women, neither of whom spoke English, so all I could say was "No bueno, no bueno" anyway. Anything else would have been lost in translation. I had explained in modified sign language to one not to clean the oven. Then the other one came along and sprayed the oven.

I called Maytag this morning and they told me never to use the self-cleaning feature (my favorite feature) again. I asked what would happen, fire? damage to oven? etc. They told me that it will never clean as well again because the cleaner damages the porous surfaces.

Then I called 2 appliance repair people. First told me to wash it down again with soap & water, then put it on 400 degrees for a while to try to cook some of that stuff out, then try using the self-clean and see what happens. He said if any got on the igniter or aluminum parts underneath, they will have to be replaced. Next guy just said wash it down with soap, water & vinegar and it should be fine. So, I guess we'll see what happens.

Thanks to those of you who tried to help.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

dandelion to YesNM

MVM

to YesNM
Wow! Never heard of a housekeeper cleaning an oven!

smw315
Premium Member
join:2002-07-18
Edison, NJ

smw315 to YesNM

Premium Member

to YesNM
Is she nice lookin'? Send her over to me.
ender7074
join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

ender7074 to dandelion

to dandelion
said by dandelion:

For that matter, what the hell's a housekeeper? I think I've seen em on TV but have never had one come to my house hehe

tvtek
Live life to its fullest
Premium Member
join:2004-03-07
Walnut Creek, CA

tvtek

Premium Member

said by ender7074:
said by dandelion:

For that matter, what the hell's a housekeeper? I think I've seen em on TV but have never had one come to my house hehe
Here is a house keeper.
Expand your moderator at work

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
united state

DannyZ

Premium Member

Re: Oven cleaner in a self cleaning oven

So, you have to speak English to be an American?

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

said by DannyZ:

to be a U.S. citizen, you do have to be able to speak, read and understand words in ordinary usage.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
united state

DannyZ

Premium Member

that doesn't cover refugees or other methods of naturalizing.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

said by DannyZ:

that doesn't cover refugees or other methods of naturalizing.
green card holders (including asylum, refugee) are not u.s. citizens. they are resident aliens. they have the ability to become citizens and part of that process is what i said above: learning english.

so people that are in this country but are not visiting for pleasure and do not have their citizenship are not americans. they are lawful/resident aliens and illegal aliens.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to DannyZ

Premium Member

to DannyZ
said by DannyZ:

In my humble opinion, yes....you should learn the language if you live in this country.
Hell, most Europeans (and people in many other countries that Americans visit), know how to speak fluent english.
Is it too much to ask that an American citizen learn how to speak english as well?

Sorry...never mind.
Maybe that subject is for another thread.

SLD
Premium Member
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

SLD to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
Technically, you can be born as an American and not speak English. No, it is not a requirement of citizenship, howerver, it is a requirement for normal functioning in society. Anyway, you get what you pay for.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to YesNM

Mod

to YesNM
I take one day off and suddenly all the crazy comes loose in here? wtf?