how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rmcmast

join:2009-11-17
Trimble, MO

CenturyLink DSL Availability

I am a CenturyLink (former Embarq) customer for local phone service and live in a rural area north of Kansas City, MO. Currently I have HughesNet for internet access, but I have a very old dish that I think is getting close to needing a new transmitter (lots of transmit errors and service interruptions).

I'm very interested in switching to DSL with CenturyLink, but according to the web site the service is not available at my location. I've called a CenturyLink store to try and find out how long it might be before DSL is available for me with no definitive answer other than, try and hold out for a couple of months.

Is there a number I can call to get information about how far I am from DSL service or to do a location check to see if it's close to my location?

I really do not want to invest in new HughesNet hardware or get back into another one or 2 year commitment. However, I'm not sure how much longer it's going to hang in there!

Thanks!

Rick

guy54435
Premium
join:2003-02-19
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Centurylink is available in your town maybe not to your address though go here and check »www.centurylink.com/Pages/Person···ity.html Hope this helps, Jack

rmcmast

Trimble, MO
Thanks. That's where I have gone to check for availability before. In the past it's told me it was not available based on my phone number.

However, I just tried again and I can get up to 5.0M download / 768k upload!!!

I'm going to call tomorrow and get things started! It's been raining most of the day and my HughesNet has been out most of the time.

Thanks,

Rick

guy54435
Premium
join:2003-02-19
reply to rmcmast
Yeah I don't know why but even though I have dsl and i look there just to see if any higher speeds are offered it says highspeed not available, go figure. Anyhow glad you found you are able to get it. Jack

chris8892

@direcpc.com
reply to rmcmast
I'm glad to hear this, I'm located about 2 miles west of Warrensburg and hughes is killing me. Is it worth calling in to check even if it says online not available?

BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by chris8892 :

I'm glad to hear this, I'm located about 2 miles west of Warrensburg and hughes is killing me. Is it worth calling in to check even if it says online not available?
Is a phone call worth it to you?

rmcmast

Trimble, MO
reply to chris8892
When I called the number on the website a while back, they were not able to tell me when it would be available, but they said that they did pass these queries on to "engineering" whatever that means. Perhaps they do track requests at some level.

I called the CenturyLink store in Gardner KS also a month or so ago. They were not able to say how long it be but said I should try to hold on another month or two. Not sure if they had any inside info or not.

Can't wait for next Tuesday ... that's when we are supposed to get activated! I have had a lot of HughesNet problems lately too, but some of that is probably the old equipment we have. The modem is only a couple years old, but dish was installed in April of 2000.

Good luck ...

Rick

Shefpan

join:2008-12-03
Lakewood, WI
reply to chris8892
said by chris8892 :

Try and get a hold of the local Centurylink employee...they can give a a better answer than the people at the phone center.