All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bucky

@centurytel.net

Equipment suggestion for CenturyLink/XBOX Live harmony

I've been a CenturyTel customer for several years, currently with 6 mbps service. Generally very reliable service. I use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and the Westell 6100 (Rev G) modem.

I want to have a more reliable connection to XBOX Live from my Xbox 360 console with wireless adapter. Each time I play, it's only a matter of time before I drop my connection and get kicked off. I can always re-connect.

I am willing to purchase equipement, or initiate any changes that may make my current gear more reliable.

Many thanks to everyone here for advice!

carp
Rejected

join:2002-10-30
Go wired with the 360. Are you dropping in multiplayer games or just in general?

Bucky

@centurytel.net
reply to Bucky
Wired is not an option, but I appreciate your advice. I don't even have to be playing a game to drop. If I'm signed into XBL, I can expect, usually within 15 minutes, "Disconnected From Messenger" followed by "Disconnected From XBOX Live". If I do happen to be in a game, I will just drop out of my party and then see the messages.

I have NOT messed around with any sort of port forwarding on my router. When things are connected and going well, they really go well. No lag, etc...

Thank you again for any advice you may have.

tmccann11
Who, Me?
Premium
join:2001-06-10
Parsippany, NJ
First start by ruling out the possible causes.

Do you notice a loss in connection from other wireless devices (iPhone, iTouch, Laptops)? If yes, the issue could be the router or the modem/connection. If no, the problem could be with the wireless adapter and/or signal strength of its connection to the router.

If you believe it could be the router, try to reset to the factory settings. You may also want to check if there is a newer firmware available.

If you believe it could be the modem, try resetting that to factory settings (make sure you backup configuration if possible, if not take down any settings you may need before doing this)

Tom
--
"Good thing the whole innerweb isn't run with those 3.5 hour reboot time taking computers....I imagine hes running Windows Server 2003 with active directory as a domain controller on a Cascio watch." Barky

carp
Rejected

1 edit
reply to Bucky
Configure the port forwarding and let's go from there. »portforward.com/english/routers/ ··· _360.htm

Proper port forwarding to the 360 is needed (manual or UPnP). If any other machine decided to use any ports for the 360, your connection will drop.

Example : I don't have my network set up to allow more than one 360 on at a time. If one gets connected while another one is connected, the first one will disconnect. Sign it back in and the other will disconnect.

Some other stuff if proper port forwarding doesn't resolve it:

It would really be worth it to find a way to connect the 360 directly to the modem for troubleshooting purposes. Still need wired connection even to the router to eliminate the Wireless connection as a cause.

Have you tried the line monitoring at DSL resports to see if you are getting packet loss?

Bucky

@centurytel.net
I am going to try all of the above suggestions today. Thank you to each of you for your suggestions.

Is the WRT54G still considered an okay router to use? How about the Westell 6100? Is there better options that people are switching to?

mattlwil

join:2004-04-13
Memphis, TN
I seem to have the best results using older wired routers. I would suggest again to go wired, drill holes or whatever you have to do to get a wire to it. I used the Netgear RP614v2 for years and just recently started reading up on the throughput stats on it and noticed it was really low (around 6 Mbps). I just switched to the D-Link EBR-2310 which has a QOS setting to allow the NAT to be shaped differently and about 17Mbps throughput. I had to manually adjust the WAN to 100Mbps for the best efficiency so far.

I am currently on CC 8/2. I think I just need a little bit more UL speed when I am on host and then my connection will be perfect. Off host quality is great. I am still playing around with the settings on the new D-Link.

I remember when I first got Xbox Live back in Jan 03 I had the D-Link DI-604 and this "new to me" D-Link I have now is the successor.

carp
Rejected

1 edit
reply to Bucky
You don't need more than ~400KBPS up to host 12 player Modern Warfare 2 on the 360 and PC based on config files for the PC and actual testing on the 360.

mattlwil

join:2004-04-13
Memphis, TN
said by carp:

You don't need more than ~400KBPS up to host 12 player Modern Warfare 2 on the 360 and PC based on config files for the PC and actual testing on the 360.
Ha, hearing stuff like that makes me want to downgrade to 1/384 and give it a whirl.

carp
Rejected

I rate-limited the switch port of my console to 100/100(Kbps) and MW2 was fine.