Zoom 5341J

1 edit

KrK to dm19891

Premium Member

to dm19891

Re: Furnace starts, then shuts off.

Click for full size
Click for full size
Yeah I'd suspect your Flame sensor too. It's maybe dirty, or failed.

I have a similar Furnace. (Rheem Criterion II)

Here's the pics:

Basically, you can unscrew it, pull it out, and clean it off with some steel wool (edited to reflect Sandshark's advice) etc. I watched the service guy do this to mine on the annual checkup. Mine's shiny and clean. (Sorry about the crap picture, camera one hand, flashlight in other, etc)

Check yours, see if it's got oxidization/carbon buildup etc
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by KrK:

He did say that the burner actually ignites and stays on though, and then kicks out 3 seconds after the main blower comes on.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

said by TheMG:
said by KrK:

He did say that the burner actually ignites and stays on though, and then kicks out 3 seconds after the main blower comes on.
The way I read it the blower comes on, the igniter ignites the gas, and three seconds later the gas shuts down, killing the burners, and then the blower finishes the cycle.

That's exactly what mine does if the flame sensor is disconnected. The guy checked the safety on the inspection by firing it up with the flame sensor d/c'ed. The thing fires, the flame sensor doesn't detect it, safety kicks in and shuts off gas.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

2 edits

CylonRed to TheMG

MVM

to TheMG
said by KrK:

said by TheMG:
said by KrK:

The way I read it the blower comes on, the igniter ignites the gas, and three seconds later the gas shuts down, killing the burners, and then the blower finishes the cycle.

That's exactly what mine does if the flame sensor is disconnected. The guy checked the safety on the inspection by firing it up with the flame sensor d/c'ed. The thing fires, the flame sensor doesn't detect it, safety kicks in and shuts off gas.
Pretty much exactly what happens when our flame sensor needs to be cleaned as well.