uniqs
share rss forum feed

Avictus3

join:2004-10-03
Duluth, MN

DSL Evening Slow Down

Click for full size
Click for full size
I have 10Mb DSL with CenturyLink. Over the last couple weeks, my speeds have dropped drastically in the evenings. Everything works fine all day, but sometime between 7 and 9 PM CST most evenings my speed drops to below 1Mb speeds. Right now it's under 400Kb. The latency is terrible too. I have attached a screen of a tracert to Google and of my transceiver stats. My modem is a Westell 327W. I have VOIP, and it's unusable in this state. I'm going to call tech support tomorrow when my 10Mb speeds come back, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice before hand. Thank you for your help.

paranthropos

@embarqhsd.net
Sounds like over-subscription. People are getting home from work and school and downloading large files. There are multiple bottlenecks in these types of networks. The DSL access mux itself can be configured to traffic shape into the uplink, (which can lead to oversubscription if there is less capacity in the uplink than the individual lines are demanding.) Also, the network routers can be oversubscribed. (All for the sake of minimizing investment).

I'm in Crystal River FL and am having the same issues after just a month of service. I get my full 3Mbps in the daytime, but never more than 800 Kbps at night, and usually less. Not sure where to turn. The tech support people are only trained to follow a script which is geared toward finding physical line issues or user-computer issues. They will open a trouble ticket (I've had two opened and closed) but the real issue is never addressed. I don't know how to escalate to a higher level of support. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck.
John

Slowed

@centurytel.net
reply to Avictus3
I live in rural Arkansas. Have Centurytel (link)and have for 12 months or more seen low download speeds after 4pm I have 1.5 up and 256 down.At 6am i get 1.488 up and 256 down from most any dsl speed test.After 12 noon 1.200 and 256.After 4pm im getting 400 kbps download and 256 upload.7pm and as low as 100kbps down and 256 up.It stays like that till sometime after midnight and the next morning its back to 1.488 downloads.Weird is upload speeds seem to be consistant.Latencys also follow this pattern.
Iv put in several tickets this month alone.Finally a supervisor called me saying theyed fix this as soon as possible.Yeah maybe ?

Over the last year they replaced my phone line 1000' underground that required a boring under the road to place the line and sent several techs to the house only to say the line quality is good but have never bothered to show up around the time when it at its worst.

I can see my download speed drop as i hear the rural school busses making there rounds to drop the kids off around the area.And as ppl flock to there home PCs after work.

dworden
geek

join:2003-02-09
Trumann, AR
said by Slowed :

I live in rural Arkansas. Have Centurytel (link)and have for 12 months or more seen low download speeds after 4pm I have 1.5 up and 256 down.At 6am i get 1.488 up and 256 down from most any dsl speed test.After 12 noon 1.200 and 256.After 4pm im getting 400 kbps download and 256 upload.7pm and as low as 100kbps down and 256 up.It stays like that till sometime after midnight and the next morning its back to 1.488 downloads.Weird is upload speeds seem to be consistant.Latencys also follow this pattern.
Iv put in several tickets this month alone.Finally a supervisor called me saying theyed fix this as soon as possible.Yeah maybe ?

Over the last year they replaced my phone line 1000' underground that required a boring under the road to place the line and sent several techs to the house only to say the line quality is good but have never bothered to show up around the time when it at its worst.

I can see my download speed drop as i hear the rural school busses making there rounds to drop the kids off around the area.And as ppl flock to there home PCs after work.
Same thing happening here in Trumann, AR. On top of the slowdowns during "prime time" it goes out almost every night at around 2am. Sometimes it stays down for 2 hours, sometimes only 1.

It happens no matter what line I have the modem on, swapped all my filters, used different modems, different jacks, at the box, etc... New house with new wires.

It mostly worked until they became CenturyLink. Now, it is a crapshoot.

I hate to say it, but I just signed up with Ritter for their cable internet. They are giving me 15 Mbit for the same price Centurytel (Link) is charging me for my 1.5 Mbit that works about half the time. They are also giving me internet only, no tv, no phone, so it will be saving me some dough.

I was satisfied with Centurytel, but CenturyLink isn't cutting it. They are too expensive (IMO) for the service they are attempting to give me.
--
Linux User #376741

MylesJ

@centurytel.net
reply to Avictus3
I have the same problem on my business DSL line. During the day I will get anywhere from 300KB to 1500KB. I've had a few nights recently that did not do 20kb and I mean that, not 20KB.

I tried to send a 12MB file to a customer last Friday night and over the weekend. It always timed out at his ISPs end and took at least an hour to do it. On Monday I hooked up to him directly and sent the file in 4 minutes using the same DSL line. He is on the east coast and I am on the west coast so my customer could not user their computer until about noon eastern time.