uniqs
share rss forum feed

seagreen
Premium,Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

1 edit

Odd Spam on Centurytel email accounts

I'll preface this by saying I use my Centurytel email account for absolutely nothing. NObody has that email account (except CTel).

After Thanksgiving and again this morning I've received spam through that account.

This one had the subject line: How CIA Spies Master 7 Languages
Was from: Alishiauih@freeholidayclub.com
IP Address: 88.135.96.78 (European network)

Domain Name: FREEHOLIDAYCLUB.COM

Registrant:
StrateJive
Che Oliver (stratejive@gmail.com)
1696 N. 320 W.
Orem
Utah,84057
US
Tel. +801.3580222

Creation Date: 12-Dec-2009
Expiration Date: 12-Dec-2010

Domain servers in listed order:
ns1.freeholidayclub.com
ns0.freeholidayclub.com

Administrative Contact:
StrateJive
1696 N. 320 W.
Orem
Utah,84057
US
Tel. +801.3580222

Technical Contact:
StrateJive
1696 N. 320 W.
Orem
Utah,84057
US
Tel. +801.3580222

Billing Contact:
StrateJive
1696 N. 320 W.
Orem
Utah,84057
US
Tel. +801.3580222

The ones around Thanksgiving were similar.

It's highly unlikely that my account was obtained by any sort of dictionary attack.

Anybody else seen anything like this? After the NebuAd crapola of last year I'm wondering if CTel is making their customer email accounts available to somebody.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

1 edit

I have plenty of messages in my CTL account as well, and I've never used the account.

On the other hand, it's amazing how some spammers manage to figure out addresses. I watch it all the time on my email server. I also have some throwaway email accounts through my 1and1 hosting package...they get spam too.

I would think that if CTL sold addresses, it wouldn't be to the type of spammer you're seeing. That's way too "random" in my opinion.

--
The goal of the broadcast engineer is to get all the meters on the transmitter to go as far to the right as possible!!

seagreen
Premium,Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

1 edit

Yeah, I get some spam on some accounts but not this one. I get NO mail in the CTel account because I don't use it.

The timing is what is weird (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and the messages are so similar and, like I said, the account on CTel is extremely unlikely to get happened upon by a lucky guess.

A cached job listing I found says the following:

said by job listing :
StrateJive is an interactive advertising agency focused on high performance campaigns that drive new customer acquisition for top-tier advertisers. Our innovative email marketing technology drives significant web traffic and allows us to deliver the highest volume of quality leads and online transactions available in the industry.
Clearly it's some spamming outfit. "StrateJive" supposedly owns about 69 other domains with names like wallstreetmall.com.

I was just wondering if anybody else noticed anything similar on their CTel accounts.

tstolze
Premium
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter

said by seagreen:

Yeah, I get some spam on some accounts but not this one. I get NO mail in the CTel account because I don't use it.

I was just wondering if anybody else noticed anything similar on their CTel accounts.
I have my gmail account grab anything from my CT account. I only log in 1-2 times a year, just to make sure gmail is still checking it.

Just checked and all folders are empty.
--
Ofallon, Mo Weather
St. Peters, Mo Weather