uniqs
share rss forum feed

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Re: Do You Warm-Up Your Car In Cold Weather? Don't Do It!

I can think of only one reason why idling would be bad and even then a lot of newer cars have features designed to prevent this "risk". Note I don't really know if this is bad for it or not. When idling with the transmission in park, it is most likely not circulating the transmission fluid, it must be in at least neutral or a gear for it to circulate. Right off the top of my head though I can't think of anything that would be bad by doing this.

dipweed23

join:2009-07-21
Ypsilanti, MI

said by JoelC707:

I can think of only one reason why idling would be bad and even then a lot of newer cars have features designed to prevent this "risk". Note I don't really know if this is bad for it or not. When idling with the transmission in park, it is most likely not circulating the transmission fluid, it must be in at least neutral or a gear for it to circulate. Right off the top of my head though I can't think of anything that would be bad by doing this.
Every automatic transmission that I have seen, the pump is turning no matter if it is in Park or any other gear. The transmission's internal pump (not to be confused with the internal workings of the torque converter) is attached to the outer shaft of the torque converter which spins at the same speed as the engine.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable
reply to JoelC707

said by JoelC707:

I know that I don't know enough to be an authority on computer security. As a result, I refrain from posting "advice" based on guesses.

The only time advice should be posted is when it is based on concrete knowledge. Please see dipweed's post above. It is an example of a post that is based on concrete knowledge.
--
Striving for Parfection.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

Point taken, now go back and re-read my post. I never once said it was "concrete knowledge" and even said I can't think of anything bad that would come from my scenario. I was simply pointing out what the "professional" article writer might have been thinking.