how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Blake002

join:2008-01-28
Fayetteville, NC

Problems gaming with my new pc

Ok so I got a new computer about a month ago. I am having problems with my steam games in particular. I am getting some heavy choke in-game, it will go to 0 sometimes during the games but it usually goes from 10 to 50 while playing. From what I understand choke is client side, and loss is server side. Everything else in the game runs fine great fps no loss just bad choke. I am not sure if it is the new computer or windows 7, but I never had a problem when I was playing on my old dell. I am out of ideas to try, figured I would come here and maybe someone had this problem before. I play most games fine it is mainly Counter Strike:source. The computer I bought is very capable of running most modern games easily.

rabeatz7
Premium
join:2009-03-21
Apopka, FL

1 edit

See if the information in this post can help: »Re: Choke during online gaming

said by RavnKing:

"Choke represents the number of updates not sent in either direction because the the communication link is saturated.

(Loss is rather different and rarely used, and represents the number of updates which were sent but never reached their destination. If a player experiences significant loss their is a technical problem with the network connection, which lies outside the scope of this report.)

Leave net_graph running and monitor the choke value. Gradually reduce the cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate values if choke occurs, until choke no longer occurs during combat.

The overall goal is to have cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate as high as possible (to provide a better illusion of uniform motion) while still ensuring choke is low or zero during combat."

I hope this helps to explain.

Ravn
Also, this post seems to have some information:
»HL/CS lag loss and choke help...

Both of those are quite old so I don't know how much it applies to the newer version but maybe it can help clear things up.

Blake002

Fayetteville, NC
reply to Blake002

I've tried lowering my rates it still does not help. I am lost seems like a windows 7 issue to me. I definetly have the pc to play it.

intel quad core i5
4 gig of ram
1gb gts 250
500 gb hd
5meg dsl
500 watt psu

seagreen
Premium,Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

1 edit

1 recommendation

If your "old" computer works fine then perhaps it's not an issue with your Internet connection. Let me send you over to the Microsoft forum and see if they have any ideas for you.

HRM
God Bless America
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-03
Darien, CT
kudos:1
reply to Blake002

First suspicion is network card drivers or AV software. I have win7, and have no issues with l4d.

I use MSE for av. AVG has had issues with steam, but they may have fixed them.

Update all drivers and disable 3rd party firewalls, swap AV software if you run out of options (or disable first)

Blake002

Fayetteville, NC

I did a line test to see if my connection might be the problem and everything with that looked ok. So I am guessing it might be software or hardware issue.

»/testhistory/1524356/76c2f

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Blake002

Are you sure that 500w is enough power for your system? I wouldn't know, but I haven't built with a 500w supply in almost 10 years.
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

Blake002

Fayetteville, NC
reply to Blake002

I am pretty sure 500 watts is enough to run this system. I did a second test just to see it came out better than the first. So gotta be a hardware or software problem. Gonna double check my drivers again. »/linequality/5···/2605936

Blake002

Fayetteville, NC
reply to Blake002

bump

Axekick

join:2005-05-01
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Blake002

I've noticed similar problems and recently built a new computer with Windows 7, 32-bit Professional.

I have a Phenom II BE 720 Triple core, 4 GB DDR3, (2)500GB Hard Drives, etc..

Everything is fast and I am very happy with the computer. But when I tried to play my old Half Life 2 it was far slower than on my last piece of crap computer.

I do know my video card is old and doesn't have Windows 7 Drivers. But I tried the onboard video with similar results. I really don't play any longer so never looked into it further.

Blake002

Fayetteville, NC
reply to Blake002

Hmm mine is not so much video lag or ping lag. Everything is running fine I am just getting ghoked packets in-game. Server is sending alot more packets than I can recieve. Most of the time the choke will be 1-5, but in heavey gun fights it can really spike really high. I tested my connection as you can see above and everything looked ok. So maybe software or hardware related it has to be.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Blake002

You can try the fix in this thread. It works with Windows XP on and most games.
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

Blake002

Fayetteville, NC
reply to Blake002

Did nothing. I have a choke problem, which basically means packetloss. I can still play the game but the shots don't register like they would if you didn't have any choke.