how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jammmin

join:2000-12-14
Upper Marlboro, MD

FIOS not interested

Verizon has made it clear recently that is it not interested in offering 100 mbps to the masses right now even though Cablevision and Comcast is currently offering it.

burgerwars

join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA

Re: AT&T also probably not interested.

They'll need to abandon/upgrade their FTTN Uverse stuff to FTTH to even have a slim chance. I think I'm more likely to win the lottery than that happening.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
We're talking about Verizon here, not AT&T.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to jammmin

Re: FIOS not interested

Once CV/Comcast start taking customers from Verizon (Xfinity, Optimum) then Verizon will react. Until then Verizon probably won't do much on the speed front.

However if they get a pat on the back and a buck in the pocket fromthe gov't for deploying 100M broadband I could see things going faster.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
said by iansltx:

Once CV/Comcast start taking customers from Verizon (Xfinity, Optimum) then Verizon will react. Until then Verizon probably won't do much on the speed front.
They wont. CC uses 4 D3 channels for a 152 mbitps bandwidth pool. CV uses 3 D3 channels for a 114 mbitps bandwidth pool. Downstream wise. 2 simultaneous users will destroy D3 on CV (100 tier). 3 or 4 users will destory D3 on CC (50 is highest tier, not the magical 100).

D3 is a gimmick, on CC, you can't really use it because of the cap. You can use your CC D3 for 11 hours at full blast before you max out your cap. Which also means, ideally CC can fit 65 users onto 1 D3 system/node (it can't, broadband has peak usage periods). CV doesn't have a cap but use price to keep congestion low.

iansltx

Austin, TX
I had 50/10 and 22/5 D3. It's not a gimmick. That said, Comcast might need to budget six downstream channels per node in order to provide 100 Mbps service...which they do offer in MN.