Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to gr8sk8

Premium Member

to gr8sk8

Re: Comcast and BitTorrent

said by gr8sk8:

I have something wrong with my cable modem.
It's this. Comcast long ago figured out that picking on a protocol wasn't the right plan, and instead implemented a far simpler, fair, and sane system that changes your packets to a lower priority under specific conditions.

Bittorrent is more then capable of overwhelming cheap routers and modems if either is even remotely marginal, at very high bit/connection rates.

With very careful tuning of my SMC8014, I have 0 issues running torrents over a 12/2 connection. When I was having hardware issues with my 8014, torrents were the easiest way to reproduce the modem issue, since they stressed the hardware most.

To troubleshoot, remove everything from your network, isolate the modem

(pc) -cat5/6-> modem -> coax from the wall...

Run your torrent(s)

Modem falls over? Replace modem.

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg

Premium Member

I agree 100% about the routers, but I don't know how a router would make a modem puke.
muranternet
join:2009-10-19
Saint Paul, MN

muranternet to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

With very careful tuning of my SMC8014, I have 0 issues running torrents over a 12/2 connection. When I was having hardware issues with my 8014, torrents were the easiest way to reproduce the modem issue, since they stressed the hardware most.
John would you mind posting your configuration? I have noticed odd behavior when stressing and am trying to determine if it's an 8014 config issue or a local stack problem.

chong673
join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

chong673

I sure would not want to stick my head out in the sand and wave and said "here I am, come get me".

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to muranternet

Premium Member

to muranternet
said by muranternet:

John would you mind posting your configuration? I have noticed odd behavior when stressing and am trying to determine if it's an 8014 config issue or a local stack problem.
Sure, its pretty much in the "turn it all off" mode. I have static IPs, and I use a Linux box as my router/firewall. I have torrents set to use unlimited down, and 50% of the uplink, max 200 (or 250?) connections per torrent. I'll post the exact settings later today.
JohnInSJ

JohnInSJ to chong673

Premium Member

to chong673
said by chong673:

I sure would not want to stick my head out in the sand and wave and said "here I am, come get me".
What do you mean?

heat84
DSLR Influencer
join:2004-03-11
Delray Beach, FL

3 edits

heat84

said by JohnInSJ:
said by chong673:

What do you mean?
I think he 's talking to me. See my previous post.
Or maybe he's saying anybody that uses Bit Torrent shouldn't confess it here.

I would've went over 400GB again this month(I still have an outside chance) if not for the 40 year old breaker box in my house being on its last legs and causing the server PC to shut off. It doesn't turn back on for some reason either. Maybe I should have the power failure setting whatever its called in the BIOS set to Power-On instead Last State? I'm going for 500GB next month.