Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
kudos:1

Boost

Wonder if their test will properly gauge the true speed of Comcast boost services?

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ
kudos:2
inaccurate. It states I have a 25/3 when I have 25/15. Also my fios tested on another site is 25/25 which is accurate.
Lee

NeoandGeo

join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN
Mine said my connection was a 22/1 but I only have a 8/1

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

1 recommendation

wow.. I see nothing but "Pain" with this

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Uncle Paul
»www.broadband.gov/qualitytest/about/
Please note that the Consumer Broadband Test in its current software based form may not be an accurate representation of connection quality provided by your broadband provider. The results can be impacted by a range of factors -- for instance, the test can vary based on the geographical distance of the user from the testing server, end-user hardware, network congestion, and time of day.
The REAL reason for these tests - broadband mapping data:
FCC may use data collected from the Consumer Broadband Test (Beta), along with submitted street address, to analyze broadband quality and availability on a geographic basis across the United States.
Powerboost and other factors are inconsequential to the main purpose - mapping data.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

What are you talking about? If it shows 25/10 because of powerboost and your connection is 12/5 then it is providing false information is it not?

knightmb
Everybody Lies

join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN
reply to NeoandGeo
I tried it straight from our 1000 Mbs fiber, only got around 30 mbps, so I think they are probably getting hammered by all of us testing it out.
--
Fight Insight Ready (Was NebuAD) and the like:
Click Here to pollute their data

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to Uncle Paul
Tried it within moments of the news hitting NANOG first thing this morning, and the speeds weren't even close. The Java app pegged me at 1.3M down 18M up. The flash app was the opposite, only more extreme. 24M down 0.3M up.

Tests were run from 25/25 FIOS.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
reply to Skippy25
But after a test, the FCC knows you have a connection and your address...which it most likely didn't before. Besides, what's that definition of broadband again?

BarneyBadAss
Badasses Fight For Freedom
Premium
join:2004-05-07
reply to knightmb
Um... er... could these folks be involved with this??

Barack
Nancy
Harry
Stenny

Could this lead anyone to a conclusion about how

1) accurate this is likely to be?
2) how useful this will turn out
3) how much more tax we'll be charged for this "new" tool that's already been developed by private companies and the G'ment wants to re-engineer it ?

--
---Barney