uniqs
share rss forum feed

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Pointless

So now ISPs will simply optimize connections to that site so they can show higher speeds.

Meanwhile, things like unfees continue unabated.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

Z80A
Premium
join:2009-11-23

3 edits

And inaccurate. This only shows how fast the the connection between their servers and that user, not actually what speeds the ISP is actually supplying them. I have a full T1 which gives me 1386kbps after overhead like clockwork and this test reported 800/900 with 200ms latency (actual local latency is in the teens). So are they going to use that data to claim what the speeds are here? This is like that lame telecom union site that was equally inaccurate by design so that they could claim the need for billions in gov't spending on infrastructure.

This test also doesn't indicate what is AVAILABLE to subscribers, only a weak indicator of what they are CHOOSING to buy. What is available is just as or more important than what people are choosing to buy.

A complete waste of taxpayer dollars. They could get far more complete data by browsing speetest.net's results.

OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

So now ISPs will simply optimize connections to that site so they can show higher speeds.

I believe it. I ran 4 test on that site and EVERY TIME my speed was as advertised (exactly as advertised).
--
I often find it complexing that people feel that you've reached a level of maturity and responsibility if you can accept being riped off or taken advantage of for someone else's gain or enjoyment

Independent TV

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

The tests are done at multiple sites provided by OOKLA and M-lab. If the ISPs haven't optimized to those sites already, I don't see them doing it now. Besides mapping is the point - not speed test for customers.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to Z80A

said by Z80A:

A complete waste of taxpayer dollars.
Actually, this is probably incredibly cheap for the FCC to do. This uses NDT (free and open-source software) and Measurement-Lab (a free platform). It also uses Ookla (but I don't know if the arrangement is the same). That's not to mention that it's web based (free protocols and usually free software) and crowd-sourced.

said by Z80A:

They could get far more complete data by browsing speetest.net's results.
They could, but now they're also contributing to that dataset. That's even better.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- District of Columbia -- KJ7RL
Tweet! Tweet! -- »twitter.com/funchords

Z80A
Premium
join:2009-11-23

Until they cherry pick the data like all gov't institutions do.

paradigmfl

join:2005-07-16
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

There are ways to counter this though. If you read up on M-labs you will see that they are doing a lot of work on network neutrality and have considered such issues. While they definitely have a ways to go it's good to see a well funded and government connected organization begin to research and provide tools to the public.