Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to AMDUSER

Re: The test is inaccurate...

said by AMDUSER:

I tested my cable internet on it, and it said I had about 30 Meg (even though I only have 7 Meg Road Runner, but with Powerboost(tm).

If they want accurate, they are going to have to do something to mitigate the Powerboost to get the rated service speed.
If it measured 30 meg, you want it to dismiss it?

The goal here is to see whether you're getting what you paid for.

If it says 3 Mbps and you're paying for 7 Mbps, then you're not.
If it says 7 Mbps or 30 Mbps and you're paying for 7 Mbps, then you are.

Powerboost is real speed. So some credit should be given to that fact. But it is really temporarily and not assured, and I agree that something should also measure that. But what we don't want measurement tools to do is to discard actual performance.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- District of Columbia -- KJ7RL
Tweet! Tweet! -- »twitter.com/funchords

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by funchords:

Powerboost is real speed. So some credit should be given to that fact. But it is really temporarily and not assured, and I agree that something should also measure that. But what we don't want measurement tools to do is to discard actual performance.
If you want a test that handles distortions caused by powerboost, use this one:
»www.measurementlab.net/measureme···iffprobe

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to funchords
said by funchords:

I have to disagree. The goal for the Gov't speed test is to sample what speeds are available where.

If powerboost causes a test to show 30Mbps then it is a false result.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:3
reply to funchords
Robb - You are the resident M-Labs expert... Do you know how many TCP connections that the M-Labs tool uses?

Also - do you have any idea how the test decides to use one test or the other (M-Labs or Ookla)?
--
JL
Comcast

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 edits
said by jlivingood:

Robb - You are the resident M-Labs expert... Do you know how many TCP connections that the M-Labs tool uses?

Also - do you have any idea how the test decides to use one test or the other (M-Labs or Ookla)?
The FCC web site says it picks it at random. But when the test ends, you can then run the other test.

»www.broadband.gov/qualitytest/about/
Users will be assigned to one of the two chosen testing tools: Ookla or M-Lab, or they can directly choose one of these tools at the links at the bottom of this page.
But you can pick which one you want from the above link or use the links I found below:

Ookla:
»www.broadband.gov/qualitytest/?sCode=O

M-Lab:
»www.broadband.gov/qualitytest/?sCode=M

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:3
Thanks!

From the office the Ookla test returns: 35M/3M
and M-Lab: 21M/4M
--
JL
Comcast

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to funchords
said by funchords:

said by AMDUSER:

I tested my cable internet on it, and it said I had about 30 Meg (even though I only have 7 Meg Road Runner, but with Powerboost(tm).

If they want accurate, they are going to have to do something to mitigate the Powerboost to get the rated service speed.
If it measured 30 meg, you want it to dismiss it?

If it says 3 Mbps and you're paying for 7 Mbps, then you're not.
If it says 7 Mbps or 30 Mbps and you're paying for 7 Mbps, then you are.

What I would like is for the speedtest to test for actual internet access speed.. as 30 Meg is not available locally.
[At least not without paying for a business class data circuit [ie fractional T3 / OC3 for $$$$.]