Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to wahoospa

Premium Member

to wahoospa

Re: Actual Speeds

said by wahoospa:

"4 Mbps of actual download speed and 1 Mbps of actual upload speed"
Actual is what people should get, not what AT&T dishes out that is less than you pay for.
... I was gonna say... and besides, this will really invalidate many DSL connections as "broadband" anymore... I wonder what Qwest is gonna do now as they have a large amount of 1.5 connections.. and also, all the RT customers..

Further, DSL doesn't do 1 meg up.. so I guess it really puts DSL into a bad spot.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

said by fiberguy2:

Further, DSL doesn't do 1 meg up.. so I guess it really puts DSL into a bad spot.
yea.. kinda feel sorry for qwest... NOT!

anyone wanna guess when they file for bankruptcy protection?

i have no faith that they will get this mess fixed anytime soon.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

1 recommendation

fiberguy2

Premium Member

I also look at it this way... they'll just stop selling "broadband" service and start calling it something else... as it is, they already call it "High Speed Internet" as well...
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
Just call it Internet access instead of broadband.. It's not that hard.

The more likely thing is that ISPs that aren't currently providing this 4/1 Mbps of actual throughput will more easily be able to dip into the perverted USF new tax burden AT&T and Verizon executive pension fund CAF

Tron4Net
join:2010-01-14
Corrales, NM

2 recommendations

Tron4Net to ArrayList

to ArrayList
Yeah I'm a Qwest customer, I hope they choke on their own sh!t!! If they were dieing of thirst, I wouldn't give them the sweat from my balls!!! Yeah, I love Qwest!!

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson

Premium Member

tell us how you really feel
viperlmw
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25

viperlmw to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
Actually, Qwest is probably able to deliver 1 meg up with some tweaking. When Qwest began selling ADSL service, it originally was provisioned at 1024k up, but was changed to 896k 5-6 years ago, as poor line quality is less noticeable at 896k. If any customers still have the same, unrepaired service, 1024k is grandfathered. I'm pretty sure that most of the DSLAM equipment out there can do a 1024k up profile. Maybe some other tweaking can get the thruput close to that.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

1024 kbps DSL profile means you'll only get ~850 kbps throughput.

I'm curious as to why they went so aggressive for upload relative to download. Is it for video communications?

The person who said that this would mean big bucks for DSL providers to upgrade might on to something.

Personally I think 7 mbps and 0.5 mbps actual throughput would be a more useful and attainable goal. 4 mbps down isn't even enough for 720p video which is much more important than uploading at 1 mbps IMO.

Could it be that they are more focused more on the communications side of things and less on video delivery since they're not as keen as many are to see the internet replace the traditional crappy cable/satellite tv systems? Thinking about this makes sense as they have considerable control over the content of TV that they wouldn't have with online video...

Ignite
Premium Member
join:2004-03-18
UK

Ignite to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

... I was gonna say... and besides, this will really invalidate many DSL connections as "broadband" anymore... I wonder what Qwest is gonna do now as they have a large amount of 1.5 connections.. and also, all the RT customers..

ADSL 1 doesn't no but most modems should be able to cope with ADSL 2/2+ which goes up to 1.4. Possibly a line card upgrade in the CO / remote.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to Tron4Net

Premium Member

to Tron4Net
i used to live in qwest territory. i was fortunate enough to be able to get cable internet. If I recall correctly it was 3x the speed for the same price.

I don't know how they never saw this coming.

they shouldn't offer the service in areas where they don't even try to compete.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
Cable doesn't go 1M up either. I, personally, do not know anyone with an actual, functional 1M up. And this includes a 1M up business cable connection -- TW can and will drop packets above 500k, the best I have ever seen it do is ~900k.

DOCSIS 3.0 and VDSL (aka Uverse) will work at these speeds, but getting the operators to stop shoveling cash into their pockets long enough to upgrade their systems will require putting a gun to their head.

(The office has a T1 and DS3, and they work at full rate 100% of the time. But, they aren't $29.95 a month.)
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

said by cramer:

Cable doesn't go 1M up either. I, personally, do not know anyone with an actual, functional 1M up. And this includes a 1M up business cable connection -- TW can and will drop packets above 500k, the best I have ever seen it do is ~900k.
Obviously provider/network dependent, but I routinely see 2.5-3 Mbps upstream with my cable ISP.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to cramer

to cramer

I call BS. My home line gets 1 up 15 down consistently. my 2 up 15 down business cable gets that consistently. My 5Mbit and 3 Mbit fiber links get a bit over that consistently. All TW provided.

dgaraffa
join:2000-10-23
Ringwood, NJ

dgaraffa to cramer

to cramer
said by cramer:

Cable doesn't go 1M up either. I, personally, do not know anyone with an actual, functional 1M up.
Three Words: "Cablevision Optimum Online"

CompUser
join:2001-11-07
Ada, OH

CompUser to Eagles1221

to Eagles1221
He COULD be talking locally, but thanks for coming to the defense of Time Warner!