uniqs

Martinus
Premium Member
join:2001-08-06
EU

Martinus

Premium Member

Your preferred jQuery Lightbox plugin?

I'm in the process of updating a Web app and want to replace many images window pop-ups with a jQuery lightbox plugin.

I started testing many months ago with Thickbox but I had to move to other projects. Now I'm back into this one but just found out that Thickbox is no longer maintained.

There are many jQuery lightbox plugins out there but I'd hate to implement the wrong one.

I need a plugin that is capable to display image galleries from links - not from thumbnails - as well as inline or ajax content.

I like Shadowbox.js but you need a commercial license and I'd rather use one that's free.

Would you recommend a certain lightbox plugin? Would you recommend to stay away from a certain lightbox plugin? Pros - cons?

Questions, questions...

Many thanks for your input
Martin

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
join:2001-05-09
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

1 recommendation

JAAulde

MVM

The author of thickbox is a very smart guy and very involved in the jQ community--even wrote jQ books. But it's good he abandoned it as it's some of his very old code and has become a poster child for bad jQ plugins.

I keep seeing fancybox mentioned, but I'd go with just about anything recommended in the note at the top of the thickbox page.

Martinus
Premium Member
EU

Martinus

Premium Member

Thanks, JAAulde See Profile] I didn't know that.

fancybox looks great but unfortunately it won't work if you don't have an image in your link to trigger it - at least, not in the tests I've done at home. I do have these images thumbnails but I use them to trigger a zoom

ColorBox looks good and it looks like it can be styled without much hassle.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
join:2001-05-09
Frederick, MD

1 recommendation

JAAulde

MVM

I also like SimpleModal by Eric Martin. I know he is actively maintaining it and he's a good guy.

Martinus
Premium Member
EU

Martinus

Premium Member

Thanks, JAAulde See Profile

SimpleModal looks good too and has many options.
Martinus

Martinus

Premium Member

After much searching, testing and trying I decided to go with ColorBox

Pros:
- Can display images, slideshows, inline, ajax content, etc
- Lots of configurations options
- Lightweight: 4 KB gzipped
- Very elegant display of images

Cons:
- Not really a con but I had to make a very small modification in the plugin so it doesn't cache the link that triggers the ColorBox - my link changes depending on the picture you are currently seeing.

Highly recommended.
Martinus

1 edit

Martinus to JAAulde

Premium Member

to JAAulde
said by JAAulde:

I also like SimpleModal by Eric Martin. I know he is actively maintaining it and he's a good guy.
Wow !

That OSX Style Dialog is really cool.

One problem though. When firing it, the cursor in the rest of the page is the loading cursor- in Win7 it's the spinning circle - so it may look like the page isn't finished loading. A minor thing, I know, but a very cool way to display messages nevertheless.

Edit: Solved by removing "cursor:wait" from osx.css.