Rm -Rf As Root

join:2002-07-22
Orlando, FL

Trying to repair laptop charging circuit

Click for full size
My board. Notice blown open 4925b

Other user's board from this thread: d=46024&p=2
Hello friends,

I received this netbook from my mom and it no longer charges from the AC adapter, but it works fine from the battery. I have a few other dead motherboards laying around with the same exact problem so it appears that this is a common issue among laptops these days. Well she told me that the netbook was plugged into the wall and the electricity in the house started fluctuating (lights flicker, clocks reset, etc...power in FL sucks). Next she said that the laptop stopped charging so I suspected a blown motherboard component.

When I opened up the Asus Eee PC 900, I saw a MOSFET that had been blown wide open, with a matching black spot underneath the keyboard cover. I did a little research and looked on Asus Eee forums and identified this blown MOSFET to be a "4925b" - Dual P-Ch Enhancement Mode Mosfet. I went ahead and ordered 2 of them from Mouser electronics to attempt the repair, but it is on backorder so I have to wait until at least April (»www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vis ··· H97Bk%3d).

While I am waiting for these replacement ICs to come in, I am starting to wonder the likelihood that other components on the board are blown and how to go about determining it. Close inspection with magnifying glass shows no physical sign of burning to any other components except the 4925b. Also as I mentioned before the machine works fine when powered by battery. I understand this is a multilayer board and not much can be done without a circuit diagram, but being that it is a relatively simple circuit, smaller board with fewer components than a normal laptop, I'm hoping a few experienced folks here could give me some pointers.

Finally, I have attached 2 photos. The first one is the actual photo of my Eee motherboard. The second is from the Asus Eee forums, of a 701 where you can see a blown diode. The user here has partially traced the charging circuit and you can see the same 4925b that is blown on my board. Maybe this partial diagram can help me diagnose other possibly blown parts.

Thank you
--
- Steve Bularca

irc.neoturbine.net - NeoturbineNET IRC

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

1 edit
First check the power adapter. The last thing you want is blowing another one because the adapter outputs more than it should.
Check if any diode nearby is shorted. There are few transistors nearby, w/o knowing whether they are bipolar or MOSFET you can only check for an obvious short. Then replace the toasted circuit and cross your fingers...
Edit: looks like »www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vis ··· y0PBo%3d could be a good replacement and is pin-to-pin compatible... also in stock.

Stiv2k
Rm -Rf As Root

Orlando, FL

1 edit
I checked the adapter, it puts out 12V as specified, so I think it's OK. Damn, I wish I hadn't already ordered a part on backorder... I might order one of those also just in case. Maybe I can get mouser to cancel my original order?

BTW, how did you find that part? I searched for 4925b and I couldn't find any part in stock.

Also, Using the diode tester across the DC jack, my multimeter shows O.L. in one orientation and ~0.300 (300 ohms?) in the other direction. Does this mean a short?

EDIT: Actually, there is a diode connected across the DC jack right on the board, so I guess it must be there for a reason and functioning properly. Perhaps to protect against reverse polarity?

Thanks
--
- Steve Bularca

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Stiv2k
Looked for a part with similar or better characteristics

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
said by cowboyro:

»pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ··· BDY.html
any higher voltage or current would work. There must be a reason why it was destroyed. Unless it is found you will burn more parts.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to Stiv2k
said by Stiv2k:

EDIT: Actually, there is a diode connected across the DC jack right on the board, so I guess it must be there for a reason and functioning properly. Perhaps to protect against reverse polarity?

Thanks

Correct. I lost count of how many 1N4003s I replaced due to people not watching which way they connected the DC, back in the day. I suppose it was better [not to mention less expensive] than replacing the parts the 1N4003s were protecting.

Stiv2k
Rm -Rf As Root

Orlando, FL
reply to public
said by public:

said by cowboyro:

There must be a reason why it was destroyed. Unless it is found you will burn more parts.
Well the best reason for why it blew up was because of poor electricity coming from the wall. My mom explained that the lights flickered in the house at the time that this happened. I suppose it was either a voltage spike or power brownout? Not sure how those can effect electronics, but that's my best guess.
--
- Steve Bularca

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

1 edit
said by Stiv2k:

said by public:

said by cowboyro:

There must be a reason why it was destroyed. Unless it is found you will burn more parts.
Well the best reason for why it blew up was because of poor electricity coming from the wall. My mom explained that the lights flickered in the house at the time that this happened. I suppose it was either a voltage spike or power brownout? Not sure how those can effect electronics, but that's my best guess.
the adapter is a switched mode power supply.
it can handle a range between 80VAC and possibly 240VAC without affecting the 12VDC output.
fluctuations on the input side shouldnt affect the output side.
not unless the output regulation in the adapter is faulty, which is a strong possibility.
perhaps a faulty capacitor, solder connection inside the adapter.
the other possibility is the jack connection on the laptop.
if it has an intermittent connection, the spikes caused by it drawing current intermittently, would be enough to destroy the mosfet.
hopefully, the mosfet that shorted, is shorted to ground which would trigger the safety in the adapter to shut itself off, preventing 12VDC from flowing past the mosfet causing more damage.
--

shdesigns