spc
uniqs
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan to randulo

Premium Member

to randulo

Re: US broadband service is costly and constipated.

said by randulo:

Sorry, not true in France and I doubt it's true in most countries, although I've heard it may be a problem in Australia.

My connection in France is 8 megs max.
8 mbps is something you can easily get in the US. Yes it costs more - but it's definitely there.

What I'm talking about is countries like Japan where you can get a 100mbit or even 1gigabit FTTH - but when you try to hit up US servers it crawls at 2mbps. Pricing in Japan is about the same as the US - they just give higher speeds which are only really higher *inside Japan*.

randulo
join:2003-01-25

randulo

Ok, I see what you're saying. Most content (say Windows 7 or various big ISO sets or video) will be on edge servers so it should come down quick. Multistream downloaders will make a big difference, too.

However, the real point is that the USA should find a way to provide even the rural population high speed access, 8M is more than enough, at a reasonable price. It would benefit an enormous number of citizens.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to nitzan

Premium Member

to nitzan
said by nitzan:

What I'm talking about is countries like Japan where you can get a 100mbit or even 1gigabit FTTH - but when you try to hit up US servers it crawls at 2mbps. Pricing in Japan is about the same as the US - they just give higher speeds which are only really higher *inside Japan*.
Nitzan, that's exactly what we have been talking about that we have paid more for broadband Internet connections here in the US compared to other countries.