ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium Member
join:2007-09-14
USA

ebgbjo to capecoddah

Premium Member

to capecoddah

Re: Having moving orders... (Fall River, MA area)

I thought Providence, RI was a bigger city? Great... I am starting to run out of places that I should live

We are hoping to get our kid into a private school. He is in preschool now and will be when we move but haven't found a private preschool in that area yet

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

if you will be employed in Fall River, don't take up residence in Rhode Island. your taxes between both States will be a nightmare to prepare.
i'd choose to live up route 24 or out I-195 a bit. Fall River isn't a place you really want to live.

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

1 edit

sonofjay to ebgbjo

MVM

to ebgbjo
If you don't need to live downtown Taunton then you might want to check out

Easton
Mansfield
North Attleboro
Foxboro
Wrenthem

Actually, Easton has been on one of those "Top Places to Live" lists for a few years now »money.cnn.com/magazines/ ··· 100.html Since you will be renting the property tax rates are not as big of worry and you can focus on the rental prices and location. With the economy and housing prices dropping rental prices have dropped as well. I haven't actually lived in Easton though.

I also have a co-worker who lives in Middleboro. It is a bit more rural where he is at but he has 4 school-aged girls at home.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

1 edit

Harddrive

Premium Member

aren't those a little outta the way of Fall River? i mean down 495, then 24, then back up 195 or use 79?

look at the Taunton area for apartments/homes to rent as well.

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

sonofjay

MVM

True, they are a drive and outside of the OPs "30 min Max'. To Fall River and according to google

Middleboro is 31 min
Easton is 34 min
North Attleboro is 34 min
Mansfield is 39 min
Foxboro is 41 min
Wrenthem is 43 min

A little closer:

Rehoboth (more rural) - 22 minutes
Acushnet (nice places near the golf course) -21 min

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

and god forbid if he has to take 195 into Providence then 95 north to get home.
traffic going into Providence starting at 3:30pm - 6:00pm, Monday - Friday, then 95 north... fugedaboudit.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Her royal highness works in Fall River, commutes from Warwick. Has managed to do a little flex time bargaining, so leaves a little before 6:30 and is at her desk by 7. Leaves around 3:45 and pulls up in the driveway by 4:30 usually. When traffic cams show 195/95 problems, there's the EZ-Pass over the Newport bridge. Adds maybe 15 minutes, more in summertime, but is generally manageable.

OP's got kids in the picture, so I'm sure a flex schedule won't work quite so easily. And it's outside of the 30-minute window.

Then again, Rocky Hill School nearby is an asset.

ebgbjo
Premium Member
USA

ebgbjo to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

if you will be employed in Fall River, don't take up residence in Rhode Island. your taxes between both States will be a nightmare to prepare.
i'd choose to live up route 24 or out I-195 a bit. Fall River isn't a place you really want to live.
We don't have to worry about the taxes. Husband is active duty military and a resident of South Dakota

Easton is just a tad further out than what my husband wants to live. He will be working in Fall River and will need to travel occasionally (maybe once a week) to Boston and with driving around for work all day, he doesnt really want to live more than 25-30 mins max (especially once winter comes have to add additional time). He would actually prefer to have just a 10min car drive since for the past 8 yrs he has had at least 45-60min drive, but I told him I don't know how well are chances are of finding something right in Fall River that we will love will be

We have on our list by looking at apartments we could find on line:

Dartmouth, MA
Highlands area of Fall River
Somerset, MA
Rumford, RI
Pawtucket, RI
Warwick, RI
Middletown, RI
Tiverton, RI
Portsmouth, RI near Aquidneck Island

So basically, way too many options right now. We really need to make a trip out to the area for a few days to see what specific area offers more of what we are looking for.

We are putting our son into a private preschool once we get to the area since they are so cheap there so not worried about local schools.

Flex schedule not even in the picture for husband as he works very long days- some 12-14 hour days and going to get worse since he will be taking on a bigger station, but he is really looking forward to it.

I will be finishing school (if VA gets their head out of their asses and can manage to get Post 9/11 GI Bill payments out to people)
CATV4life
join:2006-02-02
USA

CATV4life

Originally from Fall River...i have friends and family in Somerset and Swansea. Good places to live and raise a family. Westport is also nice.
Good luck.

ebgbjo
Premium Member
USA

ebgbjo

Premium Member

What streets and how much of them are considered "the highlands" and what other areas of Fall River are good places to live?

Getting really confused on drive times to smaller towns/cities outside of Fall River as I am getting conflicting answers from various sources. We may end up moving to the area a lot sooner, but definitely need to schedule a weekend trip out there to look at towns
CATV4life
join:2006-02-02
USA

CATV4life

i would stay away from RI...as i mentioned before, Westport, Somerset, Swansea and Dartmouth/No. Dartmouth are great with no real "bad" areas. Westport has the ocean beaches, country and a 10 -20 minute commute to FR depending on where you want to live. These surrounding towns I mentioned are very rural communities with nice subdivisions quiet neighborhoods. I grew up in Fall River spending 20 yrs there but i would not move back. I don't like the city life anymore and Fall River is city compared to the other communities.

ebgbjo
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

ebgbjo

Premium Member

well, I don't want to be too far from RI as I am applying for some government jobs in Newport and hoping I land one of them

We have contacted several places in the towns you listed CATV for rentals, but are finding out a lot of the people we contact arent even paying attention to our biggest requirement which is a space with at LEAST 1200sq foot. Several places have emailed me back trying to get me to rent places with 800-900 sq feet and also go on to say about rent "The prices do change every day" WTF! Since when do apartment rental prices change every day that they can't quote me a monthly rate? In all the states I have ever lived, I have NEVER seen this. I just wish they would at least read my comments when inquiring about spaces and how I our requirements we wont compromise on is min. sq footage of 1200.