Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

speeddream
Premium
join:2008-05-21
Irving, TX

[DSL] To be Pingable or not? 3 different subjects ok

Do I want to be pingable? Am I not more safe and secure not being pingable?

Anyone out there having the long lag time with Firefox these days?

What's the next best browser for a Mac if you cannot use Google Chrome?

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Re: [DSL] To be Pingable or not? 3 different subjects

This is not the right forum for your questions. I am not sure if there is one forum to post in.

I'll ask a mod to sort it out.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to speeddream
Like most things Mac isn't Safari just the best thing ever created by man???

As to pingable no real harm in that as long as they are hitting a firewalled modem or router.

Now you piss someone of and they try doing a DOS attack on you... could choke your connection and get your ISP ticked off. Other wise pretty harmless.

And if you want to do a line quality test here it is necessary, as well as other applications.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
reply to speeddream
said by speeddream:

Cannot? Presumably you're still using Tiger. I'd go with Camino or Opera.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to speeddream
Being Pingable (responding to ICMP Echo Request) is a great troubleshooting tool. Disabling it does not materially affect security. There are some denial of service attacks involving massive Ping traffic but that is not something a typical residential customer needs be concerned about.

I have it enabled on my home network, and if you noticed so does Broadband Reports.

/tom

techjoe
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Warrenville, IL
reply to speeddream
said by speeddream:

Do I want to be pingable? Am I not more safe and secure not being pingable?

Anyone out there having the long lag time with Firefox these days?

1) Doesn't matter. I guess you could get "ping flooded" offline and be easier to DoS, but meh. Who would know your IP *and* want to DoS you anyway?

2) Maybe, but not me.

3) I also like Mac'N'Cheese
--
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to speeddream
Absolutely responding to ICMP traffic (ping) makes you more vulnerable and insecure (the system, not you personally but maybe!)

If I can ping an IP address and it responds, I know there's life at that IP. I can go further to find a backdoor or exploit depending on my expertise, time, and desire.

If I ping an IP and it does not respond, I have no idea if there is a machine at that IP. There may be, there may not be. I am more likely to continue to an IP that does respond unless I have specific reason to believe there IS a machine at that IP and the machine has something I specifically want.

Having ICMP response enabled or disabled will make no calculate-able difference to your internet usage. ICMP is a very, very low priority packet. In layman's terms, If you are busy doing something else with your connection, the ICMP request will be ignored over nearly any other type of packet simply by design. (This is precisely why ping is not always a good troubleshooting technique. Lost packets does NOT necessarily mean the system in question is down.)

Regarding the second question, what do you mean by 'lag time'. When opening the browser? Between websites? Loading certain content (java, etc), or something else entirely? FF tends to use more memory than other browsers and thus may be a tad slower due to that depending on your memory utilization or speed. Having BHO (browser helpers such as toolbars, addons, etc) may also slow the browser down and utilize more memory.

No clue on the 3rd Q - I have never and probably will never use a mac. I believe safari is popular.