spc
uniqs
Zizoo
join:2010-05-12
PA

Zizoo to Camaro305

to Camaro305

Re: Official Comcast blog about new SA guide

They just ported the moto guide by the looks of it.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

See to be blunt, I mainly use my MOXI, which has a really good user interface and on screen guide, as well as the grid style. »moxi.com/us/hd_interfaces.html I get all the features, with the exception of on demand, but thats a limitation of the cablecard technology, not the device.
LeftyJR
join:2008-02-19
Avis, PA

LeftyJR

The rumblings that I've heard state that mid-late June is when we'll have our S.25 put in place.
prowresfan1
join:2010-06-01

1 edit

prowresfan1

Parts of CT should be getting the new guide on June 8th.

"We have been getting great feedback from many of our employees in Connecticut on this new guide for some time. We are now ready to release this guide to our customers. From the Comcast Voices blog:

On June 8 we are scheduled to bring this new guide experience to Comcast customers in central Connecticut including the towns and areas of Middle Haddam, Cobalt, Cromwell, East Hampton, Middlefield, Middletown, Portland, Rockfall and Wesleyan College.

If you live in one of these areas, look for your new user guide in the mail next week with a letter announcing the new guide PLUS a coupon good for a free On Demand movie.

Additional areas of Connecticut will also be scheduled to get the new guide in June. "

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

See to be blunt, I mainly use my MOXI, which has a really good user interface and on screen guide, as well as the grid style. »moxi.com/us/hd_interfaces.html I get all the features, with the exception of on demand, but thats a limitation of the cablecard technology, not the device.
Nope, Its a limitation imposed by cablelabs. Really if comcast wanted ppv on Tivo, it would happen overnight. Just like netflix, amazon, etc. I have no need for comcast ppv, so its not a problem for me.
jjv124
join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA

jjv124

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
So here are the images from my passport guide....soon to be gone, and missed
jjv124

jjv124

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
LeftyJR
join:2008-02-19
Avis, PA

LeftyJR

Yup, I'm going to miss it! I guess its just a few weeks away now, huh?

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to jjv124

MVM

to jjv124
That is so nice. Why would any cable company want to get rid of that?

What version are you running?
jjv124
Hanover, PA

jjv124

said by cypherstream:

3.0, I don't know why they are getting rid of it. I do know we are probably one of it not the last system to still use it, but I guess it's easier for them to condense into one version.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

2 edits

cypherstream

MVM

I haven't used echo, but the inlaws have passport 5.1 on their sa3200/2200 set tops (Blue Ridge Cable). Passport is nice, and echo looks even nicer.

It's fast and the screen transitions are a plus.

I had a thread here about it:
»Whats the latest version of Passport (SA/Cisco)

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium Member
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
·Verizon FiOS
Wistron NeWeb CR1000A

actor90 to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Honestly, because Comcast has a moronic need to own every aspect of our viewing experience. It might not be a bad thing, except for the fact Comcast has a track record of picking the wrong companies and people to absorb. More often then not, Comcast in their programing and internet content choose the worst people to make the decisions. Back when Comcast bought TechTV only to merge it with the horrible G4, and then systematically kill off programing and personalities from the more popular TechTV, in the same way Comcast absorbs a company and pushes a guide no one wants, that is clunky and ugly compared to alternatives, even some from the company they partly own.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Heres some comments on the new guide from The Middletown Press (CT)
»www.middletownpress.com/ ··· 5101.txt

" This upgrade is horrible, Its a step backwards, which I didn't think was possible. It no longer flows smoothly from channel to channel but it jumps around to block of 4-5 channels at a time and not they added advertisements which u have to scroll through. I want the old system back because this new one is straight garbage. "
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q

Hard to believe all the love for the SARA guide.

Passport, yeah, I get that, but SARA?

There are quite a few comments (18 at my check today) on the site that cypher referenced. I assume that these are all from Comcast customers in CT.....

Looks to be mixed responses/reactions

Here is another one...

" I was disappointed with the guide when I first pulled it up -- but I didn't realize the menu key brought up all of the old functions that the guide key used to give until I saw this:

»www.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

I haven't used it much but directions do help (you would think Comcast would have sent them in advance, or at least put info in one of those advertisement boxes we now have to deal with). "
jjv124
Hanover, PA

jjv124

I am a bit surprised about the SARA love as well. I think is probably a mixed bag of the issue with the guide, plus people not being happy to change. We all know people tend to love what they had, even when they didn't love it and don't want something new. Because they get the new something and assume that any of their rate increase went to it and don't want that.
TurboDan
join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

TurboDan

said by jjv124:

I am a bit surprised about the SARA love as well. I think is probably a mixed bag of the issue with the guide, plus people not being happy to change. We all know people tend to love what they had, even when they didn't love it and don't want something new. Because they get the new something and assume that any of their rate increase went to it and don't want that.
I have no love for SARA's UI, but it will be a sad day when I have to wade through SPAM in my guide that I pay for. THAT is the essential issue most people have with this, it seems.
jjv124
Hanover, PA

jjv124

How many ad's are there? I mean I saw the moto guide and it honestly wasn't this horrific mess of ads that I had to wade through. Now is it going to be a shock to the system the first few times you betcha, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I guess I'll let you know how I feel about it when it comes my way.
TurboDan
Lavallette, NJ

TurboDan

said by jjv124:

How many ad's are there? I mean I saw the moto guide and it honestly wasn't this horrific mess of ads that I had to wade through. Now is it going to be a shock to the system the first few times you betcha, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I guess I'll let you know how I feel about it when it comes my way.
Well, they want you do get used to it. That's part of the strategy. I actually find it exceedingly annoying, having seen it in action in the Atlantic County, NJ system. It honestly could make me flee from Comcast. The very fact that I can't scroll through the guide without mousing over a huge, hulking banner ad thrown in for good measure is simply infuriating to me.

And to think that I actually PAY for the privilege.

JimCramer
@comcast.net

JimCramer

Anon

Is there anything new regarding the new guide in Ocean County, NJ?
jjv124
Hanover, PA

jjv124 to TurboDan

to TurboDan
said by TurboDan:

said by jjv124:

Well, they want you do get used to it. That's part of the strategy. I actually find it exceedingly annoying, having seen it in action in the Atlantic County, NJ system. It honestly could make me flee from Comcast. The very fact that I can't scroll through the guide without mousing over a huge, hulking banner ad thrown in for good measure is simply infuriating to me.

And to think that I actually PAY for the privilege.
Like I said I've seen the moto guide and to me it's not that bad. However if the guide is such an issue for you, why not just then go with a tivo or a moxie?
The Q
Collegeville, PA

The Q to TurboDan

to TurboDan
...cancelling my magazine subscriptions - I pay for that, why should I have to look through ads?
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

ad's in magazines subsidize the magazine...... your $2 magazine costs way more then $2 in reality....

jmoz2989
join:2008-02-01
Moscow, PA

jmoz2989 to TurboDan

to TurboDan
If ads on a guide annoy you, I bet you'll just love channel surfing through a load of 'not authorized' messages. SA boxes currently have the luxury of skipping through channels not in the customer's paid package whenever surfing w/channel up and down buttons.
The Q
Collegeville, PA

The Q to neufuse

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

ad's in magazines subsidize the magazine...... your $2 magazine costs way more then $2 in reality....
I would think the same example would also hold true for TV programs and the on-screen guide.

In either case, the ads offset the cost or add to the profit of a publicly held company. That was the initial business model for broadcast television and is core to most media business plans including publishing and online.

Why are cable tv companies held to a different business standard than newspapers and magazines or any other business? My monthly/weekly train pass even has an advertisement on it. The Philadelphia Inquirer even has ads sometimes on page 1.
TurboDan
Lavallette, NJ

1 edit

TurboDan to neufuse

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

Oh, so I guess a few dollars will be knocked off my bill when they plaster ads on my screen then, right? I mean, it's being "subsidized" by the ads, after all.

You know, JUST ONCE, Comcast could make an attempt to put its customers first and sacrifice a few sheckles for the masses. There's a reason why this company is consistently rated among the worst in America in customer surveys. These people are hated so much they had to put bulletproof glass up in their offices. Sheesh.

newguide
@comcast.com

newguide

Anon

said by TurboDan:

Oh, so I guess a few dollars will be knocked off my bill when they plaster ads on my screen then, right? I mean, it's being "subsidized" by the ads, after all.

You know, JUST ONCE, Comcast could make an attempt to put its customers first and sacrifice a few sheckles for the masses. There's a reason why this company is consistently rated among the worst in America in customer surveys. These people are hated so much they had to put bulletproof glass up in their offices. Sheesh.
Here's something else to think about though. Why Does TiVO charge you a monthly fee to use hardware you purchased?

primary reason? The cost they must pay to the companies who provide the guide data to them. MSO's have that same per-sub kind of cost for the actual guide data.

Tribune and Rovi (the 2 big guide providers) both charge a monthly subscription fee for their data. It's not cheap. IMHO, if the ads help offset the cost of that guide data, I'm not going to complain too much. Considering those licensing fees are paid per device (as in, per box), If it helps keep the boxes from experiencing the same regular rate increases we see for video when the provider jacks their prices, I'm happy.

Remember, you box rental rates cover the cost of the hardware, as well as the monthly licensing for the guide data, guide software (including IP Licenses for things like Macrovision, video codecs, etc), and also to a small extent the cost of the box overhead (warehouse staffing, cleaning, repair).

ashraffool
@verizon.net

ashraffool to TurboDan

Anon

to TurboDan
to most ppl , ads are ignored but it makes more money for comcast. same reason there are ads in bus shelters , side of pay phone booths beginning of DVD, all over. sorry customer doesn't come first especially those that are impossible to please
said by TurboDan:

said by neufuse:

JeStEr
join:2002-08-25
Miami, FL

JeStEr

just called in and got the message that tonight from 12:01-6am they will be updating the sytem guide in the areas from miami, FL to the keys.. and in that time we are unable to watch TV.. not that Im awake at those times to wach tv but still wow a 6 hour window..
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

said by JeStEr:

just called in and got the message that tonight from 12:01-6am they will be updating the sytem guide in the areas from miami, FL to the keys.. and in that time we are unable to watch TV.. not that Im awake at those times to wach tv but still wow a 6 hour window..
WOW the sat co's updates don't take that long of no TV.
The Q
Collegeville, PA

1 edit

The Q to JeStEr

to JeStEr
I think the window is a maximum of 6 hours. I don't think that you will go without TV for 6 hours.

My guess is that it's the "up to Six hours" message so you are excited when it's only 2 hours or 90 minutes. Stay up and let us know what happens! And do you have a SA cable box?