Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

1 recommendation

nightdesigns

Premium Member

Re: Thoughts on Portable Airconditioners

Figured I'd give an update on what I did. After taking a bunch of feedback, research, etc, I decided to purchase a EdgeStar AP12000S portable A/C.

»www.livingdirect.com/AP1 ··· ,pd.html

The unit is a single hose, 12000 BTU unit. I have been more than pleased. I went with the single hose because of AZ summers and I couldn't see how sucking in 115 degree heat would work. If I still lived in CA where it cooled off in the evening, then I could see an outside air-intake making sense.

As many of the reviews had said, the window kit left a bunch to be desired, which I can confirm. I picked up a roll of foam weather stripping and wrapped the plastic portion and it sealed up any gaps that were left. Fixed that "issue" with a $2 part.

I cool the house to 80 with the main A/C, fire up this unit and in under 2 hours the room is under 70 degrees. Hooked it up to the kill-a-watt and the specs were right on, about 900w with the A/C running, about 50 with just the fan.

It does make some noise, but I wouldn't consider it more than a traditional window unit. I usually cool the room down before going to sleep and turn it off.

All-in-All, I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars, probably a 4.5 if the window kit was better.

Thanks to all for your help.