Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

auctionhugh

join:2002-10-09
Kalamazoo, MI

2 edits

Weird surfing issues until disconnect Vportal then fine

My setup is Thompson Comcast Modem -> Vportal -> Linksys Wrt54G -> wired and wireless computers. Has worked solid for four months.

Today I find that I'm having difficulty hitting normal websites. I can hit www.yahoo.com but not mail.yahoo.com ... speedtest.net is lightning for some servers and timesout for others.

Yelling at comcast they finally convinced me to direct connect to the modem - everything worked fine.

So then I connected the linksys router directly to the modem. Everything working fine.

I guess that means I have a vonage issue.

Anyone else know about this? Is my vportal messing with my routings or doing their own nameserver lookups? Are there vonage routing issues out there today? Who would I contact who can understand this type of question?

I can't plug my vportal back into the loop until I get this resolved, so my landline is effectively down.

By the way I've never been able to go modem to linksys to vportal successfully, but the other way has always worked just fine so why bother?

Thanks!
--
Let Kathleen build your small business Web site OR help you maintain a large site when your workload gets too heavy!
Mature, dependable, creative, fast!
»www.kallenweb.com

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI
Have you verified that plugging the Vportal back in, brings the issue back? If not, try that, it may have just needed a power cycle.
--
Lightning Bolt Technologies

auctionhugh

Kalamazoo, MI
I power cycled it a dozen times - but a little while ago I said, ok what the heck, and hooked it up again between my modem and router - and everything is working fine now. I still think there was an issue somewhere down the line this morning, either in my city or my part of the country.
--
Let Kathleen build your small business Web site OR help you maintain a large site when your workload gets too heavy! Mature, dependable, creative, fast! »www.kallenweb.com

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
Just put your VPortal behind the router.

auctionhugh

Kalamazoo, MI
It works fine in front of the router, and my voice line is more important than my internet speed. And I've never been able to get that configuration to work.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
said by auctionhugh:

It works fine in front of the router, and my voice line is more important than my internet speed. And I've never been able to get that configuration to work.
The VPortal will muck up your internet connection, particularly if you have a higher speed tier.

To get it to work behind the router, unplug the router, modem and Vportal. Plug in the modem and let it boot up. Plug in the router and let it fully boot/connect, then the Vportal.

auctionhugh

Kalamazoo, MI
I've tried exactly that a half dozen times in the last six months, no way no how. I'm not a noob, really if it was going to be that easy I would have done it already.

Mike1980

@vonagenetworks.net
reply to auctionhugh
I would try setting a static IP address on the Vonage TA(behind router); noting specifically the DNS servers(default gateway of router and maybe open DSN for secondary; 208.67.220.220).

This may help getting the Vonage adaptor working behind the router, so your PCs don't have to route through it.

Pretty odd problem though, that the Vonage cannot access the internet behind the router(but can behind the modem) but other hardwired devices can.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to auctionhugh
said by auctionhugh:

I've tried exactly that a half dozen times in the last six months, no way no how. I'm not a noob, really if it was going to be that easy I would have done it already.
Sorry, I don't know if you're a noob or not.... but what Mike said. Also, make sure you leave the subnets alone. Make sure they are set at 255.255.255.0 . Leave the DHCP server turned on.

andunn

join:2001-09-06
Linn Creek, MO
reply to auctionhugh
I have the exact same issue as the OP, but with Charter.

My issues come from the fact that I recently upgraded to a Docsis 3.0 modem 1 month ago. I am now receiving my higher speeds that I have been paying for for awhile but was not able to get my my Docsis 2.0 modem. I have the Vonage Linksys WRTP54G wireless router.

I never had any issues until I upgraded my modem, but can verify that it is my Vonage device and not my modem. The WRTP54g in my opinion was not designed to be able to handle higher speeds and is causing issues with the router. I'm not sure if it has to do with the channel bonding or what is exactly going on, but this is what I have done:

Docsis 3.0 modem and regular wireless N router work fine

Docsis 2.0 modem and regular wireless N router work fine

Docsis 2.0 modem and Vonage Linksys WRTP54g router work fine

Docsis 3.0 modem and Vonage Linksys WRTP54g router and issues start to arise.

I don't expect to get any help from Vonage on this issue, so I am looking at buying a stand alone Vonage adapter and hooking it up to a regular wireless router and seeing if it helps.